To BB (ASCP) or Not

EAB81

Is anyone certified as a BB (ASCP)? I've been looking at it for a while, but can't decide if I should or not. Also, if there is someone out there, did you struggle with what reading resources to use. The reading list is a ton of journal articles and such. Anyone have better recommendations?

I took the BB (ASCP).  I had my MLT, went back to school for my bachelor's but had children and it took me 7 years.  Rather than try to study for the whole MLS, I took the BB and C (because those were the two areas that I worked in directly) then took my SBB.  For the BB (ASCP), if you work in the department and study the Technical Manual, you will be fine.  The SBB is much more difficult!  Hope that helps.

Hello, I am BB (ASCP) certified. Basically if you are getting ready to take the BB certification exam, you should study all material that is outlined for SBB. The SBB is more of administrative. Go to the BOR ASCP website - you will find the details. You need to get prepared well to pass it. Good luck!

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:40 AM, JoyG said:

I took the BB (ASCP).  I had my MLT, went back to school for my bachelor's but had children and it took me 7 years.  Rather than try to study for the whole MLS, I took the BB and C (because those were the two areas that I worked in directly) then took my SBB.  For the BB (ASCP), if you work in the department and study the Technical Manual, you will be fine.  The SBB is much more difficult!  Hope that helps.

I did the same except the other department for me was Hematology. I realized after taking the BB ASCP and passing it the first time out that what helped me the most was my practical experience and not so much book study. As far as concern as to whether I should take the exam or not, I was concerned with any impact on my current position at the time if I did not pass this exam; but I am happy to say that those concerns were not warranted at all. So you should take this exam and any other exam that you are qualified to take.

Edited by rravkin@aol.com

I took the BB exam three years ago. The Blood Bank Guy's website helped me a TON! I listened to all of his podcasts and took quizzes on his website. I did the BOC study guide book, but I didn't feel like the way the questions were written in there were similar to the actual exam questions. I also used Harmening's textbook and Ortho's transfusion news webpage where you can sign up for a question of the day to be emailed to you. I didn't read a single journal article and I don't feel that it mattered one bit that I didn't. Good luck!

I had been a MLT (ASCP) since 1991 and recently completed my Bachelor's degree.  I have worked exclusively blood bank for the last 12 years.  I wrestled with whether to take the BB (ASCP) or the MT (AMT).  I went with the MT (AMT) because the hospital systems here in San Antonio prefer the more generalist MT level certification for supervisory and off-shift positions.  My HR department said they would only be able to hire me at the MT level for BB only if I went that way.  Having an extensive generalist background, I decided MT (AMT) was the best option for me.  I used LabCE's Medialab practice tests and Patsy Jerreau's CLS Review to prepare for the exam.  I studied about 2 months and passed first time around on November 30th 2017. 

• 2 weeks later...