Jehovah's Witness Transfusion Policy

simret

Certainly in the UK, the Jehovah's Witnesses themselves have detailed transfusion protocols on-line, but are always extremely helpful when contacted by telephone.  I would give them a try.

Another excellent source of information is the book, "All Blood Counts: A manual for blood conservation and patient blood management." by Thomas D, Thompson J, Ridler B eds. Harley, Shrewsbury: tfm Publishing, 2016. ISBN: 978-1-903378-95-3.  pp 530 (paperback).  This is also a very easy read.

We have found that restrictions on taking blood transfusions varies from patient to patient.  Whenever we have a JW patient, we will consult with the patient'e RN and/or physician. 

A good resource in the US is The Jehovah's Witness Hospital Liaison Committee, https://www.jw.org/en/medical-library/hospital-liaison-committee-hlc-contacts/united-states/

Scott

• 2 years later...

Jumping in years later.  Has anyone heard of the Blood Bank being responsible for keeping the Refusal form and documenting refusal in the EMR or Blood Bank Record?  As a patient who refuses, it is my believe that there should not be an electronic Blood Bank record on said patient.  

On ‎08‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 8:50 PM, bldbnkr said:

Jumping in years later.  Has anyone heard of the Blood Bank being responsible for keeping the Refusal form and documenting refusal in the EMR or Blood Bank Record?  As a patient who refuses, it is my believe that there should not be an electronic Blood Bank record on said patient.  

It definitely should be a part of the medical record, electronic or otherwise.

No need for BB to keep the document - medical record.  I'd put a note on the patient record card/BBIS for future reference.

I do as David does - a note to indicate that the patient is a Jehovah's Witness. If the patient has accepted plasma but not red cells, I will also note that. Saves them a bill for an unwanted crossmatch sometimes if I can notify the provider that he/she should discuss transfusion with the patient before we perform testing to set up red cells for them. (And yes, I think that providers should discuss transfusion with their patients, ideally before ordering the products, but we know that the real world doesn't always work that way.)

• 1 month later...