Nate S

Chronic Reactive Lymphocytosis

Hi Everyone,

This is a question for the Hematology experts out there.  What is the clinical significance of someone that has chronic reactive absolute lymphocytosis with a normal WBC count? Do you think more testing to follow-up is required and if so what test(s)? I've done lots of research on this topic, but wanted to see what everyone's thoughts/ideas are regarding this topic.

I'm not an expert, but flow cytometry may be helpful to classify the lymphocytes (B-cell, T-cell, NK cells) and see if an abnormal immunophenotype exists.

I agree that it is possible that the "reactive" lymphs may be lymphoma cells.  If the patient is middle-aged or older it could also be an early CLL.  They should probably see a hematologist.

Scott

Yea, I was thinking flow cyto would be a good start to see if it's not something more serious.  They don't look like lymphoma cells at all - they look like the typical reactive lymphocytes you would see on a peripheral smear.