Reference Lab Testing

BloodBankerX

When and ABID cannot be completed with the available methods in-house, patient samples are sent to a reference laboratory. Hospital receives a bill from the reference laboratory based on the complexity. Does anyone have any experience on how to properly pass these charges  on to patients?

Thanks

We have a "Special Test B Bank" built in our system (Sunquest) that is solely for billing Reference charges. The test has no CPT code or price assigned. When we receive the bill from the Reference Lab, we order this test and then manually enter the appropriate CPT codes (the test is built to accept multiple codes) for the testing that was performed and the total dollar amount to be billed to the patient. The reference lab we use is very good at getting at faxing us the bill within 24 hours of the workup so the patient billing can be accomplished in a timely fashion.

Thank you for your responses. One of the issues is, for example, type and screen (TS) charges. Type and screen is done at the hospital and the reference lab also perform a TS and bills for it. We're just concerned that it might look like a double charge for TS. So do you guys absorb the cost?

Edited by BloodBankerX

Luckily our Reference Lab allows us to choose only the testing we want them to perform so for Antibody Identification order just that. We send them our results as part of the order and then if they choose to perform a Type & Screen they don't charge for it. If they did charge me for it then I would call to investigate if there was a good reason for them to have done the TYSC. If yes then I'll pass the cost to the patient, if not then I request them to remove it from the bill.