Anti Mi(a+)?

jojo808

Hi all,

We had a 78 yr old female O negative pt last year come in as an emergency and got 5 units rbc total, 3 of which were O+ units. We had to switch types due to lack of Rh neg units. Anyway she came back and developed an Anti-D. All D+ cells on 2 panels were 1+. However there was 1 cell out of the panels that had a 4+ reaction. On the 'special/additional' testing column that cell was Mi(a+). Never heard of it, never noticed it on the Ortho panels before. I looked at 2 more panels we had and saw another Mi(a+) cell and tested it and that one tested as 4+ also!

Should I put some kind of comment like "probable/possible Anti-Mi(a+) antibody"?  Our ref lab does not have this antisera. Thanks in advance!!!

Mia is part of the MNS Blood Group System, and, among most populations (with the exception of the Far East) is a low prevalence antigen.

I would recommend putting "probable/possible", as the problem with antibodies directed against low prevalence antibodies is that 1) people tend to make a "soup" of specificities, rather than a single specificity to a low prevalence antigen, and 2) in any case, such antibodies have a nasty habit of cross-reacting with other low prevalence antigens.

Even if the patient did not have an anti-D, I would recommend that she be disqualified from receiving blood by electronic issue.