Lewis A

SMILLER

Ja.  Here, if the anti-Le a shows up on an inpatient, we set up 2 AHG crossmatched units, because that is what we do for all atypical antibody patients.  But if it does not show  up in the antibody screen, we have to order confirmed Le a units from our blood supplier and XM those!

It's so 20th century...

Scott

1 hour ago, SMILLER said:

Ja.  Here, if the anti-Le a shows up on an inpatient, we set up 2 AHG crossmatched units, because that is what we do for all atypical antibody patients.  But if it does not show  up in the antibody screen, we have to order confirmed Le a units from our blood supplier and XM those!

It's so 20th century...

Scott

Sorry Scott.  In my personal opinion, and it is only my personal opinion, it's not 20th century........it is at best 18th century!!!!!!!!  :devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

11 hours ago, Laurie Underwood said:

If the patient has a history of Anti-Le(a) and the current antibody screen is negative we perform an IS/AHG crossmatch and do not antigen type the units. If the Anti-Le(a) is active then we will give antigen negative units.

Given the number of reactions that are recorded in the literature, which are very few, and the fact that the small amount of plasma left on the red cells to be transfused will very readily inhibit in vivo the anti-Lea in the patients plasma, I think this is overkill.