CAP TRM.41350

Eagle Eye

Your blood product label should already have those.  When labeled according to ISBT standards the product expiration date will be in the Q4 of the label.  Time only needs to display if not equal to 2359.  Special transfusion requirements such as irradiation or leukocytes reduced will be built into the product code.  If antigen negative blood is required, we have a separate label that is applied with the specified antigen listed.

On 11/12/2017 at 4:01 PM, Eagle Eye said:

Per the CAP requirement, highlighted items are added. We are using very small label with SOFTBANK which has minimum requirement. (first four items)

How is everyone complying with below requirement.

1) Are you changing your label size?   Thanks

image.thumb.png.9d53ae7a8efdc9e4b870541b52b3ea2e.png

image.thumb.png.c9a21c6c929591f6d89ab4586aa52689.png

Interesting standards from CAP.  AABB only requires the unit to be tagged by the transfusion service with two recipient IDs, donor unit ID number, and compatibility info.  At the bedside, ABO/Rh must be checked between patient and donor unit.  We have the patient ABO/Rh on the tag. 

Scott

On 11/14/2017 at 11:15 AM, tcoyle said:

I don't think its necessary to reinvent the wheel when the information is clearly displayed via another means.

I think I would question CAP about the intent of this standard. Are they talking about just the hangtag/transfusion service label? Does info on the face label cover this requirement?

I interpret "Transfusion Requirement" to mean the PATIENT's requirement, i.e. "this PATIENT requires Irradiated products".  Irradiation is a unit ATTRIBUTE.  So you would need to print that patient requirement on the compatibility Tag/Label along with the other required patient information.  Our tag (Cerner) would include both unit attributes and patient requirements.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:38 AM, SMILLER said:

Interesting standards from CAP.  AABB only requires the unit to be tagged by the transfusion service with two recipient IDs, donor unit ID number, and compatibility info.  At the bedside, ABO/Rh must be checked between patient and donor unit.  We have the patient ABO/Rh on the tag. 

Scott

That is why we went with what Softhad and did not request change.

and NOW.....CAP!

On 11/16/2017 at 12:32 PM, Sandy L said:

I interpret "Transfusion Requirement" to mean the PATIENT's requirement, i.e. "this PATIENT requires Irradiated products".  Irradiation is a unit ATTRIBUTE.  So you would need to print that patient requirement on the compatibility Tag/Label along with the other required patient information.  Our tag (Cerner) would include both unit attributes and patient requirements.

That is how I ineterpreted to.

Blood Bag has unit type and unit number...why are we requiring that on compatibility sticker or TAG?

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just posted a similar question to this.  I interpreted the Transfusion Requirements to be the Patient needs Irradiated, CMV neg, etc.  Our LIS Sunquest does not have this available to add to the unit tag that I can see.  Anyone using Sunquest able to update their system generated tags?

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, SMILLER said:

Scott

the FDA only requires this data also - on a compatibility label.  A transfusion tag is a different animal.