Meditech Aliquot adding to DIN number

I was sited by the CAP inspector for my aliquot label for on a  neonate unit. Meditech  adds a suffix of "A" to the aliquot. She indicated that she was not convince that it was a closed unit even though the ISBT product code contained the "AO". Is there a way to print an aliquot label in Meditech that does not attach  the "A" suffix?

If it's an open system unit, according to the ICCBBA language you should have OPEN SYSTEM on the label.  And, if you have a closed system for your aliquots the expiration date should be the same as your unit that the aliquot was taken from.  Did CAP site you for the "A" added or only that the person couldn't tell if it was a closed system aliquot?  (which seems odd...)  Sorry I can't answer your question about Meditech, but it's strange that it adds something to your label.

It is a closed system. The inspector said it was not clear that it was a closed system if the "A" is added to the din number.

I showed her our process that it was a closed system. The blood aliquot directly into a pedi bag attached to the mother unit. The computer creates the suffix.

Was the inspector referring to the ISBT label or the IT form?  If it is the IT form, look at KB article 27704.  This will change the number that prints on the card so it matches the ISBT format.  I think that may be what was troubling the inspector, although what he said doesn't make sense.  I'm just guessing that he heard this previously and didn't remember the correct reason that it troubled him.  If that is not the case, then I don't have any suggestions other than to plead your case with CAP after the citation is confirmed.

This is the way Meditech documents the splitting of products. Now with ISBT, the product code does not change when you split, so this is how the computer differentiates one split from another made from the same product.  The split number (A, B, Ba, whatever) needs to print on the tag so you can tag the product properly and the blood bank and bedside staff know which split is being issued and transfused.  I've had Meditech 27 years, we're a pediatric hospital so we make tons of aliquots, and no inspector (CAP, AABB, FDA, JC) has ever had a problem with this.  Your CAP inspector should not cite you for something they don't understand. The previous post is correct - adding an A or B to the DIN when splitting has nothing to do with a closed or open system.  I would challenge that citation.  

The inspector was not happy with the A added to the DIN on the IT card and computer screen. I am going to check with my IS team to research that KB article reference by Bankergirl. It may solve the problem. I will also add Sgoertzen comment that the clinical staff can differentiates which aliquot is processed for transfusion.