Rule out Anti-K

Hi 

It might be silly question but can we rule out Anti-K by using Heterozygous line ?  I understand KK red cell have more sites (4000-6000) where as Kk red cells have 2500-3500) sites. Also BSH guidelines suggest you need to have one homozygous line to exclude antibody.   It is difficult to exclude when patient has more than one antibody.

In my opinion (and that of the BCSH Guidelines) you do not need a K+k- red cell to rule out anti-K.

If you look at the antigen profile of the red cells you use every day as screening cells, they will not have a K+k- cell, and yet you are ruling out the presence of anti-K (and any other antibodies directed against the major blood group antigens) with each sample that gives negative reactions with these red cells.  In addition, if you look at the screening cell profile that the BCSH Guidelines recommend, they say that the K antigen MUST be represented, but NOT that these cells must be K+k-.

I agree with Malcolm. In theory, there may be examples of anti-K that only react with K+k- cells, but in practice it's a very rare event.

One of my former colleagues/mentors once said that one shouldn't worry about missing a weak antibody. If the patient were unfortunate to be transfused antigen-positive blood, the former weak antibody would be super-strong next time around !!! Problem solved.

2 hours ago, exlimey said:

One of my former colleagues/mentors once said that one shouldn't worry about missing a weak antibody. If the patient were unfortunate to be transfused antigen-positive blood, the former weak antibody would be super-strong next time around !!! Problem solved.

I have an idea I may know who that was!