Documentation of Transfusions

melvolny

Which standard or regulation states blood products have to be transfused within 4 hours and started within 30 min.? I've begun the process of going electronic and want to make sure I will have access to the all the information required. I looked in Standards 30th edition. I looked at JC requirements. I couldn't find anything that specifically laid out what was required when reviewing for completion. I know I have read it somewhere, but I sure can't remember where.

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

These should be more of a nursing standard requirement than otherwise.  But in the AABB Tech Manual 18th ed, on page 550 it mentions the 4 hour limit, but only in passing.  I could not find a specific standard either!

The 30 minute limit for a return is more arbitrary.  You need to base an acceptable return on the temp of the unit, which, after a few minutes at room temp, is not going to be returnable.

Scott

It is mentioned in the Circular of Information which is prepared jointly by AABB, the American Red Cross, America’s Blood Centers, and the Armed Services Blood Program.  

https://www.aabb.org/tm/coi/Documents/coi1113.pdf

"Aseptic technique must be employed during preparation and administration. If the container is entered in a manner that violates the integrity of the system, the component expires 4 hours after entry if maintained at room temperature (20-24 C), or 24 hours after entry if refrigerated (1-6 C)."

"Transfusion should be started before component expiration and completed within 4 hours. "

Not sure where the 30 minutes comes from.   Some institutions have used "promptly" and then have gone on to define what promptly means, i.e., 30 minutes, 20 minutes etc to allow time for patient identification etc.  

Edited by R1R2

• 1 month later...

We were cited on the 30 minute rule at our last CAP inspection. We now rely on the temperature of the unit, taken with an infrared thermometer, if the unit is returned. The unit must register < 10C to be acceptable back into blood bank inventory. And we see, too, that the temperature can be out of range within a relatively short period of time.

Melvolny asked about a rule on starting blood within 30 minutes, not returning blood.  I don't believe that you will find anything other than what R1R2 stated.

On 10/12/2017 at 8:40 AM, R1R2 said:

"Transfusion should be started before component expiration and completed within 4 hours. "