A1 Lectin Proficiency Testing

During my CAP inspection I was cited for not having PT for A1 lectin and weak D. We rarely if ever use A1 lectin as we send out our ABO discrepancies to the reference lab. I will remove that from our ABO Discrepancy policy. However, we do perform weak D testing on cord bloods and prenatals. The person inspecting me said he was cited, hence why I was being cited. How do other facilities handle PT for weak D? I don't think CAP offers weak D PT...:confused:

I had no idea either of those required PT, but I guess it does make sense.

Proficiency testing - for anti-A1 lectin?  I think your inspector is having a laugh.

Quite apart from anything else, Dolichos biflorus detects both Tn and Cad polyagglutination.  I would LOVE to know where he/she got the red cells to test for those and, incidentally, where the person who cited the inspector in the first place got their Tn and Cad cells.  Sounds utter nonsense to me (and, possibly, a lack of knowledge on the part of both inspectors).

Perhaps this could be included on the Transfusion Medicine specimens -- our forms have a place to record that the ABO Subtype was tested (or not). Although that is not a graded choice, it could probably be shown when results are returned and compared with other facilities that do the subtype.

Just an idea!