Return of issued products

CSP0102

I would like to know what others are doing when a product such as a red cell unit is returned to the Blood Bank.  We currently use Safe-T- Vue 10 on products we send in an ice chest but not on products that are supposed to be infused.  How do you check the temperature on the returned units, or do you have a time frame from when it left the Blood Bank until it is returned. How do you ensure the product is viable for reissue? We currently have a rule that if a fresh frozen plasma leaves the Blood Bank in an ice chest and returns more than 2 hours later we discard it.  I think that is a waste of a good product so I would like to know what others are doing. If anyone has a resource for these issues I would also like to know what that is. Thanks for your help

Red Cells in a chest that is held someplace (like the OR) is considered storage.  10C is not acceptable storage temp.  The FDA has made this call.  About 3 years ago there were multiple discourses on whether blood in coolers were storage or transport.  If the product sits in the box it is storage/FDA and must meet the environmental storage of 1-6C.  I asked this question personally.

We will take back rbcs until 15 minutes has elapsed.  We validated that after that time the rbc has exceeded 10C.  We do not release into coolers. 

We use Hemo-Temp II on our blood issued in coolers (Trauma, MTP, OR).  Additionally, the cooler temp is recorded every 4 hours.  Nurses are instructed to request a new cooler if the temp reaches 6°C.  The coolers that we use, however, validated to hold 1-6°C for ~24 hours.  For blood that comes back from a nursing unit (no Hemo-Temp), we wrap the unit around an NIST probe thermometer.  If it exceeds 10°C, we adjust the expiration to 4 hours from issue stipulating that it has to go to the original patient.

21 hours ago, CSP0102 said:

I would like to know what others are doing when a product such as a red cell unit is returned to the Blood Bank.  We currently use Safe-T- Vue 10 on products we send in an ice chest but not on products that are supposed to be infused.  How do you check the temperature on the returned units, or do you have a time frame from when it left the Blood Bank until it is returned. How do you ensure the product is viable for reissue? We currently have a rule that if a fresh frozen plasma leaves the Blood Bank in an ice chest and returns more than 2 hours later we discard it.  I think that is a waste of a good product so I would like to know what others are doing. If anyone has a resource for these issues I would also like to know what that is. Thanks for your help

We will accept a (non-cooler) RBC or plasma back if within 20 minutes AND if the temp is OK (not likely!).  For coolers, like you, we use an indicator called Timeview AND a thermometer.  We would not toss thawed FFP just because it came back late.

Scott

9 hours ago, rravkin@aol.com said:

Does this unit have to be reissued or transfused before this new four hour expiration? 

Yes, we basically just honor the 4 hour limit from original packed cell issue (no different than if the nurse had kept it at the bedside).  We edit expiration in our BB LIS, and print a new full-face label.  If it's just a matter of getting a new IV site or getting a med, they can usually get it in.  

• 5 weeks later...