Computer Crossmatches and Revised CAP regs

MOBB

This "Note" to the CAP TRM.40670 requirement is lifted straight out of the FDA Computer Crossmatch Guidance of April 2011, page 6.  

I don't know of any BECS smart enough to block the computer crossmatch for these cases of ABO typing discrepancies, so we will have to rely on a policy statement in our procedure(s).  

I agree that this does not add value to patient safety, but rather confuses the poor bench tech with another If...then...policy statement in the procedure.  Thanks MOBB for posting!

• 3 weeks later...

So in a follow up conversation with Amy from CAP, she said CAP was working to revise the wording next year to clarify that unresolved/unexpected ABO discrepancies require a serologic crossmatch. Resolved issues are not disqualified.

I called again today to get clarification on many of the revisions and I was told that CAP does not define an ABO discrepancy and if my policy defines an ABO discrepancy as one that is unresolved/unexpected we can carry on with business as usual.

On 10/17/2017 at 12:01 PM, Patty said:

Did anyone listen to the Sept 20 CAP webinar that was mentioned below for standard changes? Was any clarification given?  Do you know if it was recorded and can be accessed through the cap WEBSITE?

They didn't discuss any of the transfusion medicine changes, only said there were many updates. It was a pretty big waste of time.

I don't know if they recorded it.