Transfusion Record forms for Bridge downtime

holly4874

We recently went live with Cerner.  The nursing staff uses the Bridge application of Cerner to transfuse all blood products.  The nursing staff decided not to use Bridge during Traumas and MTPs, which means we had to develop a paper downtime form for these situations.  Currently, we are hand writing these forms which I am completely against because this leaves too much room for human error and patient's safety is out the window.  I am trying to change this, and need help from other Blood Bankers that use Bridge/Cerner.  How does your Blood Bank handle Traumas/MTPs?  Do the nurses use a form in Powercharts?  Do you have a form you are willing to share that prints from Cerner with the patient's information AND unit information on it?  Even if you don't use Bridge, but use Cerner, how do you handle Truamas/MTPs?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I never understand that, when Bridge is so much faster than a 2 person check!  Our CRNAs wanted to do pre-scan just in case something didn't work right, but once they saw how fast it was, they don't do that.  We've been live on Bridge for 4 years as of next Sunday, with SafeTraceTx as our transfusion system.  While we don't have traumas or MTP per se, we do have a "downtime" process for recording transfusions, including the 2 person check.  Our nurses use I-View in Powerchart for all charting tasks - recording vitals, recording where the transfusion took place, etc.  When Bridge isn't used, then all information is recorded electronically in I-View.  Information may be recorded on a trauma code flowsheet then entered in I-View.

• 4 months later...

We have also just gone live with CERNER.  The problem we have encountered is that our ED docs do not want to order for EMG REL prior to the patient arriving to the facility-but they want the BB in the ER with a cooler prior to the patient arrival.

We do have a paper form we utilize  - Two staff are needed to draw the sample and transfuse any blood product for the amount of time they wish to utilize that sample (up to 3 days).  Any units transfused cannot be done through BRIDGE as they are not tagged with any CERNER generated bag tag either (so we can link sample to patient to transfusion).  Then the paper document has to be scanned into the CERNER patient record.

So far we have not experienced much downtime for normal operations and all areas are able to utilize PPID/PAID samples and BRIDGE to transfuse.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe there is a Rapid Start section in Bridge?  We do have a paper downtime form, and if cerner is not down, we reprint the unit issue tag (ours is a label) and stick it on the form.  We rarely have to use these, as the nurses have been told they must use bridge.  Or iView if they can't get into Bridge. We also have an emergency release form that the physician has to sign and return to the blood bank before we give them anything.  It helps that we are right next to the ED.  We do have issues where I can't find any documentation in PowerChart except maybe in the Notes section (not appropriate), and when I see this, I notify a clinical systems analyst in IT to retrain the nurses. Not sure if this answers your question.