Contracted Services for Cell Saver in OR

ffriesen

• 4 years later...

Unfortunately, the JC standards put cell saver under the QSA for Blood Bank. I'm not sure a disclaimer would help, though I like that idea! We have a contracted perfusion service that runs our cell savers in the OR, and I still oversee it. They must follow our processes, use our forms, etc. I get a copy of their annual training/competency from the perfusion company to prove they are capable. As far as QC/QA for the cell saver instruments, the OR and I have joint oversight of that, and we log every time the cell savers are used and document the QC for it. 

On 6/2/2022 at 6:18 PM, jshepherd said:

Unfortunately, the JC standards put cell saver under the QSA for Blood Bank. I'm not sure a disclaimer would help, though I like that idea! We have a contracted perfusion service that runs our cell savers in the OR, and I still oversee it. They must follow our processes, use our forms, etc. I get a copy of their annual training/competency from the perfusion company to prove they are capable. As far as QC/QA for the cell saver instruments, the OR and I have joint oversight of that, and we log every time the cell savers are used and document the QC for it. 

May I ask - What QC do you do when the cell saver is used?

Our cell saver machines have an in-line optical Hct sensor. So we record that on our forms for documentation. There is a "line in" and "line out", so we get a good read on the low Hct coming in, and the high crit of the processed blood on the way out. If this is not recorded, or unable to be read, the perfusionists are supposed to collect a purple top for H/H determination in the lab. Once 10 units have been processed for the patient (this has never happened), they should be collecting a heparin level on the patient to ensure adequate washing of the processed blood. That is a manufacturer recommended QC step.