K-Check tablet serum control

milesd3

Has anyone found a QC material to use with the K-check tablet?  we are currently using urine controls but the bulk of our ketone testing is on serum.  Bio-Rad makes one for use on some chemistry analyzer but when I talked to them about it they said it was unsuitable for the K-check tablet stating that it made a speckled pattern on the tablet rather than the solid purple a positive patient would leave.  JCAHO seems to be concerned about "matrix" as we found out 20 years ago when we were only using urine controls for pregnancy kit tests.  Thanks

We have been using K-check tablets since the Acetest tablets were discontinued.  We had been using MAS Urine controls for the Acetest and back then, MAS did not have ranges for the K-Check.  I did a study between the two methods as they recommended.  Now MAS has ranges and we still use those controls for the K-check and acetone testing.  We have always used urine controls and at not point did we use serum controls.  We mostly do serum acetone testing as well.  There is a procedure in the K-check package insert for making a positive control but it does not indiciate that you need to use serum for controls.  Hope that helps :)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, Moyer said:

We have been using K-check tablets since the Acetest tablets were discontinued.  We had been using MAS Urine controls for the Acetest and back then, MAS did not have ranges for the K-Check.  I did a study between the two methods as they recommended.  Now MAS has ranges and we still use those controls for the K-check and acetone testing.  We have always used urine controls and at not point did we use serum controls.  We mostly do serum acetone testing as well.  There is a procedure in the K-check package insert for making a positive control but it does not indiciate that you need to use serum for controls.  Hope that helps :)

Thanks Moyer yes I read the insert and actually talked to a nice gentleman there about the same thing as the instructions in the insert basically are what the urine control would be.  He told me I could experiment with different volumes of acetone in ketone free serum and develop my own control  but that seems like a lot of work and extra use of the tablet.  Our pathologist just said to wait and see what JCAHO said if they indeed say anything. 

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 12:18 PM, hippie_chick67 said:

Bio-Rad Serum Volatiles. Level 1 is negative. Level 2 is positive. We run them daily. We only do serum ketones.

Cool I talked to them sometime ago and they told me their control was "not" acceptable for use with the tablet because it makes a speckled pattern on the tablet rather than the solid purple that serum does on the tablet.  Have they reformulated the control?? Thanks

• 10 months later...