Benchmarking

Marianne

We are reviewing all our dashboard thresholds.  I could not find much in a web search and am wondering if anyone would be willing to share what values they use as a threshold for disposed (wasted/expired) red blood cells and apheresis platelets.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

We are using <2% for wasted, and <3% for outdated (all products).  This is the first year I've set a threshold.  I wasn't able to find information, so I looked back at what was wasted/expired over the last few years to set the threshold. 

A long time ago, some old SBBs told me the "national average" for red cell outdated units was 2%.  We have stayed at <1.5 for many years now - mostly AB units.  Don't know about % for wasted units - I investigate the circumstances with everybody involved (nurses, physicians, anesth docs) and educate them if necessary.  They get the idea that they better not make that mistake again.  Obviously, sometimes it can't be avoided (e.g. patient expired) but our expired units outnumber wastage by far.