prep for solar eclipse

Our region is in the path of the total solar eclipse in August and we are likely to have clear skies in our high desert climate.  Hence, the hordes are coming.  Does anyone have advice for transfusion services in a semi-rural area pretty much doubling its population (increase of around 250,000) for a week or so?  Our health system is planning but I am asking for transfusion service specific ideas.  If you have applicable experience I would love to hear it.  I want to be sure that I haven't forgotten anything.

I would plan to be prepared in two basic areas . First an increase in "normal" transfusion work resulting in a gradually increasing backup on all or certain shifts. This may just require enforcing a clear and ruthless work prioritization and accept a later catchup on shifts not used to that work. If you have regular spikes in work flow this may not be that big a problem, if not please note that for many techs this increasing backup can be perceived as a spiraling loss of control that can fluster and create confusion, at best it reduces efficiency.  An extra body just answering the phone can be a blessing. Secondly potential issue is a large incident like a coach crashing; there is a post on this site recently(ish) describing this type of scenario and outcome much better than I could.

Make a prioritization list and discuss with techs; do what first, second etc. Include max wait times for routines as that can be a trigger to call in help. Discuss experiences and expectations this thread will expose. Many here will be familiar with using the phrase (or variation of): "unless your patient is bleeding out on your shoes they are routine."  Highlight that busier it gets above your normal the less efficiently many can work.

Have a list of all tech cell phone numbers (ensure current) posted in logical place and give heads up they MAY be called. Define criteria of when techs should be called in.

Investigate blood suppliers expected inventory and how soon can they import stock if needed (if the fan gets dirty).

Make sure disaster box is current. Other posts have shown that a tech banding patients in the ED and organizing BB samples saves confusion and time.

I would assume (hope) there will be meetings to discuss the expected impact, though other threads have indicated that learning the hard way seems to be the norm.

I an curious to hear if the majority of solar eclipse watchers can be categorized as "party animal dreuids", or serious and lugging expensive telescopes.

This happened in Gettysburg with the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. We got extra AB plasma and some extra blood for the week. Make sure that your blood supplier will let you return anything that you don't use. Plus all the stuff from above. The most that happened here was heat exhaustion, not lots of blood.

Call me a geek....I've already taken the day off and plan to revel in the experience. No telescope though and definitely not a druid. We are in the totality path as well, likely to have clear skies and I've been waiting for this event for 20+ years - literally. I will not be answering my phone :nana:.

Mabel, I do appreciate you planting the idea of preparation in my brain. I hadn't given it a thought. Multiple events are being planned in our region so we are sure to have crowds of people coming in for viewing.

I already put in for the time off too.  I was in MT school when the last one happened out West.  They wouldn't let us leave (finals week) and it was cloudy so it didn't amount to much.  I have been waiting 38 years and now they say no one in our hospital system can take the day off (or any of a two week buffer) unless for a "life event" or already paid plane tickets. I may just have to work at one of the 3 of our hospitals in the totality path that day. ;)

Our blood supplier will supply several hundred miles of totality's path so I have asked them their plans.  There will be one druid/burning man type party of 30,000+ near a national forest. In August, we'll be lucky if the whole place doesn't go up in flames.  There are other groups ranging from 600 Japanese tourists (B pos, right?) and several thousand at a small airport. Jillions more will be camping.  Isn't August prime rattlesnake season?  Hmm.  Blood Bank won't be much affected by the increase in heart attacks and heat stroke etc. so I am thinking mostly about vehicle crashes, road rage due to overcrowded roads, and partiers doing stupid things in higher numbers than our usual tourists do. The bus wreck is a sobering thought. I guess GI bleeds could go up proportional to the population surge, but most chronically ill people won't be traveling here, I'd think.  Our roads will be so crowded we expect trouble for our couriers transporting blood and specimens.

I WAS looking forward to the eclipse.  Ugh.