Urine Microscopic QC

BenchTech

How many places spin their urine QC and perform a microscopic exam? Do you do it daily? weekly? monthly? 

My big question though is this a CAP requirement. I can't find anywhere where it states that it is a requirement. I recently took over as supervisor and I don't know if we are doing this every day because we always have or because it's required. 

Thanks

We are not CAP inspected, but in NYS this is not a requirement YET (although I heard of one lab being cited for it). Both MAS and BioRad have microscopic acceptable ranges. You have to spin the control down in order to perform microscopic (unless you run it through something like the Iris). I know of a lab that aliquots off a bottle into 1-2 mL aliquots and uses them daily.

Nicole

WE do not do it although I believe we had something at one time that allowed for urine micro RBC and WBC counts, which is hardly comprehensive for this type of QC if you have to do it.  But anyway, for years now, we have not done any regular "micro" QC for routine urinalysis.  But I would double-check with CAP if I were you (we are JCAHO accredited).  It should be in your QC standards somewhere.

Scott