platelet availablility

tkakin

We are a level II trauma center 2.5 hours away from our supplier.  We have 3 platelets on hand usually.  Can you share how many platelets you store, how far away from your supplier your are, and what trauma level you are?

Thanks

Teresa

I suspect your answers will vary wildly.

We are a level 1 and we also support a huge OR and very busy cancer center.

We are a donor center, we are about 15 miles from our supplier.

Our minimum inventory for platelets is 30.

We are somewhere between 15-20 miles from our supplier. We are a Level III trauma center. We do not keep platelets in-house but if ordered emergency our supplier guarantees they will have them here within 1 hour. The only time it takes longer, other than a major traffic problem (wreck), is if the unit needs to be irradiated. (We have a large cancer center here.) If we kept platelets in-house we would be tossing them all the time because they have expired and that's a bigger cost to eat than we are willing to bear. In formulating our MTP we have made it clear that they will receive all products as quickly as possible and once the MTP has been initialized, the platelets should be here by the time they need them. Quite frankly, I doubt if we use the MTP that often. If by chance we get a trauma, if it's a really bad one, the ER hangs 2 units PRBC and we ship them to the Level I that is about 15-20 miles from us.

We're level 1 trauma center, no donors.  We use the Blood Exchange - all our blood is flown in.  We are about 15 miles from the local supplier that we rarely use.  Cancer care. We are about 2 miles from Cliff and several other large hospitals.  We stock 5.  Though we are smaller bed size than our neighbors, our trauma is busier.  MTP activated at least once a month.

Verax PGD testing is helping us - we can extend plts to 6 & 7 days. 

We are pediatrics Level I trauma with donor center. Our supplier is 45 miles away and we usually keep 4 platelets in hand; and depending upon situation sometimes we may go as low as 2 platelets. Our turnaround time of platelets availability from our supplier is at least 4 hour. 

We are a level III trauma center and we are 150 miles away from our supplier. We used to stock 3 apheresis units during the week and one on weekends. We were recently cut back to 2 units on weekdays by our supplier because of our usage patterns.  Our platelets are routinely rotated out and restocked 3 times a week, with daily resupply if we need it. Outdates are usually limited to the unit we carry through the weekend and we get credit for that if it happens. We can also get urgent resupply, though that is probably going to take up to 4 hours. Most of our platelets are transfused to Onc patients, rarely used for MTP.

We are in an almost identical position as you....Level II, stat order takes 2 hours, minimum level is 3 apheresis platelets.  We order additional if we have a daily user or multiple complex CV cases going on at the same time.  One of our first steps when an MTP is activated is to increase inventory to 6.  To make things more interesting, our supplier charges $100 to restock each unit we return.

We are somewhere between 15-20 miles from our supplier. We are a Level III trauma center. We do not keep platelets in-house but if ordered emergency our supplier guarantees they will have them here within 1 hour. The only time it takes longer, other than a major traffic problem (wreck), is if the unit needs to be irradiated. (We have a large cancer center here.) If we kept platelets in-house we would be tossing them all the time because they have expired and that's a bigger cost to eat than we are willing to bear. In formulating our MTP we have made it clear that they will receive all products as quickly as possible and once the MTP has been initialized, the platelets should be here by the time they need them. Quite frankly, I doubt if we use the MTP that often. If by chance we get a trauma, if it's a really bad one, the ER hangs 2 units PRBC and we ship them to the Level I that is about 15-20 miles from us.

This is our situation also

We are a level I trauma center about 5 miles from our supplier.  Minimum daily stock level is 3 platelet pheresis products.  I'd be interested to know what everyone's expiration rate is for platelets.

1 hour ago, BBKT said:

We are a level I trauma center about 5 miles from our supplier.  Minimum daily stock level is 3 platelet pheresis products.  I'd be interested to know what everyone's expiration rate is for platelets.

At the level center we might outdate 4u/week.  We got credit for all returned outdated plts

Level 2 trauma center, 3.5 hours from supplier (when winter roads are good). We stock 3-6 plts and rotate most of those we don't use back to the big city hospital on their last day (where they use Verax to get more days out of them). This usually leaves us with 3 plts overnight and we bump up to 6 in the morning. We will supply platelets to the local level 3 and 4 hospitals in our region if they need them but they usually transfer the trauma patient to us instead. We do open heart surgeries so some of them are on plavix and use 2 platelets out of the blue. There are huge differences between different level 2 trauma centers.  We average only around 1 massive transfusion a month, although they don't all end up needing enough blood to be a true massive.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, David Saikin said:

At the level center we might outdate 4u/week.  We got credit for all returned outdated plts

1/2 credit? for returning within a certain time? Or full on credit for all even expired? Thats pretty amazing!

23 hours ago, natalynn said:

1/2 credit? for returning within a certain time? Or full on credit for all even expired? Thats pretty amazing!

We get full credit for outdated units - probably because we are far enough away from our supplier that it's impossible to stock units without outdating some of them (weekends, holidays, etc.).