Glycerol Solutions

spavlis

22 minutes ago, exlimey said:

Just curious....why glycerol ? Does the refrigerator manufacturer require you to use it ?

I believe.....Thermometers are placed in solutions similar to the components of blood.

10% glycerol solutions is determined to be similar to blood.

20 hours ago, spavlis said:

I believe.....Thermometers are placed in solutions similar to the components of blood.

10% glycerol solutions is determined to be similar to blood.

Is that an official rule, standard, regulation, or something contrived that we've all convinced ourselves is true ?

2 hours ago, BankerGirl said:

We also bought our glycerin from the local pharmacy.  Dilute it to 10% with water.  I keep a diluted bottle in the refrigerator for top-offs and the concentrate at room temp.

BankerGirl, why 10% ? We do 30% and I am wondering if we are over concentrating our glycerol.  

4 hours ago, exlimey said:

Is that an official rule, standard, regulation, or something contrived that we've all convinced ourselves is true ?

It's a CAP checklist item.

TRM.42650 Monitored Temperature  The temperature of refrigerators is monitored in a manner that will mimic the temperature characteristics of a component stored in the device.

NOTE: For example, placement of the temperature sensor probe in liquid with heat transfer characteristics similar to blood, and a volume similar to the smallest units stored, is recommended, but other procedures are also acceptable. The correct placement for the temperature sensor is controversial. Some experts recommend leaving the sensor exposed to air, some recommend enclosing it in liquid, and some recommend enclosing it in an aluminum block.

18 hours ago, DPruden said:

It's a CAP checklist item.

TRM.42650 Monitored Temperature  The temperature of refrigerators is monitored in a manner that will mimic the temperature characteristics of a component stored in the device.

NOTE: For example, placement of the temperature sensor probe in liquid with heat transfer characteristics similar to blood, and a volume similar to the smallest units stored, is recommended, but other procedures are also acceptable. The correct placement for the temperature sensor is controversial. Some experts recommend leaving the sensor exposed to air, some recommend enclosing it in liquid, and some recommend enclosing it in an aluminum block.

Perfect ! Thanks for the reference.

So...a follow-on question: Who determined that 10% glycerol is a "liquid with heat transfer characteristics similar to blood" ? At least one user on this site is using 30% glycerol.

The 10% solution (we use a simple 1:9 v/v dilution) has been what has been used traditionally and seems to be one of those things that inspectors don't get too excited about.  With glycerol being a bit more dense than water this would be more like a 13% w/w solution.

(I believe 10% w/w is close to the thermal properties of plasma and 30% closer to packed RBCs.)

Scott

On 3/16/2017 at 9:52 AM, Dan87 said:

BankerGirl, why 10% ? We do 30% and I am wondering if we are over concentrating our glycerol.  

4 hours ago, exlimey said:

Perfect ! Thanks for the reference.

So...a follow-on question: Who determined that 10% glycerol is a "liquid with heat transfer characteristics similar to blood" ? At least one user on this site is using 30% glycerol.

To answer Dan87, we use 10% because that's what we always have used.  Not a good reason, I know, which is why I googled this after reading your question. I found one post that states  the heat transfer characteristics of components is different, like Scott said.  Then I dug further and found a statement in "Textbook of Blood Banking and Transfusion Medicine" that said water is acceptable because it is less dense than the blood components and would, therefore, fluctuate faster than the blood components and allow action to be taken before said components would actually be affected.  SO, I think we will stick with 10% since mostly what we have is packed red cells.

• 6 months later...