Zika Virus Negative by NAT

lpregeno

When Zika first began being tested, only some of our units were tested for the virus so we had a comment built into our LIS to attach to those units that were tested. Now that they are all being tested, does anyone know any reason why we have to continue with this (cumbersome) task? We certainly don't comment for everything else they test for, such as Hb, HIV, etc. Just CMV. I haven't been able to find any information on this being a requirement or not.

Thanks!

Frozen products (plasma, frozen rare red cells) collected prior to Zika testing will still be around. The FP/PF24 will cycle out after a year as products outdate, but there will still be those frozen rare red cells around. That doesn't mean you have to maintain the process as they were collected prior to the testing and are acceptable for distribution, but something you might want to keep in mind at least until all the plasma is cycled out if you have the process in place.

It's my understanding that the manufacturer of the unit must label the unit for Zika testing as long as it remains an investigational test. We collect donor units and must label each one with the Zika comment. If you are only the end user and the unit is already labeled with the Zika comment, I don't know that you have to log that comment into your system, unless you re-print the label. (as with thawed plasma).