COAG LINEARITIES / CAL VER

nziegler

to anyone that performs special coag testing - what do you use to perform the require cal ver / linearity?  I looked into George king, they only have material for clot based assays, but most of mine are chromogenic or immunoturbidimetric. I have to run Protein C Activity, Free Protein S, von Willebrand Activity, von Willebrand Antigen, and ATIII Activity.

The manufacturer just recommends using a different lot of control material, but that doesn't go anywhere near the upper linearity.  I've been trying to catch high patients and serially dilute, but I always end up missing one or two tests (especially Free Protein S).

Any help is appreciated!

Nicole

• 2 weeks later...

Scott - you aren't located in NYS, are you?  Definitely a requirement for us, and have gotten cited for it.

:(

I asked my apps person what other people are doing and she indicated they are doing the same thing I am. Some can be done by concentrating the normal control. Others I have to hope to come across a patient that reaches the higher levels.

No I am in Michigan.  Good point about having to follow not only CAP or JCAHO rules, but also your state regs, which may be more strict.

But for some quantitative tests, (like sed rates), there are no linearity kits.  For many others, like pregnancy tests or a semi-quantitative test like glucose form a urine strip, the question of linearity is not even applicable.

Scott