BB Textbooks

KTUCK

It depends what you want.

Many of the textbooks that I have had the pleasure of reading and reviewing are 1) easier to purchase on "this side of the pond" and 2) many are directed towards either Reference Laboratories or physicians/pathologists, but, if you feel that any of these may be of use, I will list them.

4 hours ago, David Saikin said:

Denise Harmening's book has been a good, basic reference since its first release.  I think it is called Blood Bank and Transfusion Medicine, but would not swear to it.  Many students use it.

It's Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices.  It is what I used as a student, so it MUST be good :)

s

19 hours ago, KTUCK said:

I have the AABB 17th edition. What's the latest edition?

Just need something in general for Blood bank testing. Maybe similar to a student textbook.??

The latest is the 18th edition.  I've got it on a thumb drive.  BEST. THING. EVER. :):) 

s

3 hours ago, David Saikin said:

The first edition was one of the books I used to study for the SBB exam - mid-80s. 

I used Harmening for my SBB studies as well, though with my experience with students I find that it is also very approachable for the beginning blood banker. I have to confess (embarrassment) that I didn't really 'get' the Lewis system :confuse: until I read that section in Harmening with its nice charts and tables :wow:.

In addition to current editions of AABB Standards and Technical Manual, we have Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices 6th edition, Human Blood Groups 3rd edition, The Blood Group Antigen FactsBook 3rd edition, Mollison's Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine 12th edition, and Practical Guide to Transfusion Medicine 2nd edition. I also have a copy of The Quality Toolbox 2nd edition in my office.

7 minutes ago, goodchild said:

In addition to current editions of AABB Standards and Technical Manual, we have Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices 6th edition, Human Blood Groups 3rd edition, The Blood Group Antigen FactsBook 3rd edition, Mollison's Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine 12th edition, and Practical Guide to Transfusion Medicine 2nd edition. I also have a copy of The Quality Toolbox 2nd edition in my office.

All excellent books, but I have to say that Mollison's Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine is a real textbook, rather than a book to read from cover to cover (and I can say that with all honesty, having read it from cover to cover for a book review - and I know Dave Anstee wouldn't argue with me saying that)!

On 2/1/2017 at 6:08 AM, AMcCord said:

I used Harmening for my SBB studies as well, though with my experience with students I find that it is also very approachable for the beginning blood banker. I have to confess (embarrassment) that I didn't really 'get' the Lewis system :confuse: until I read that section in Harmening with its nice charts and tables :wow:.

Ann I don't think I ever really understood the Lewis system but don't tell Malcolm, he'll try to educate me and it's way to late for that.  :crazy: