Meditech Rules & Calculations

Hello! Would any of your meditech users care to share some of your rules and calculations? Meditech's knowledge base is sometimes lacking in what you need to build these things. A lot of the keywords have no explanation of how they're formatted when used. I'll start out with one I came up with.

Filling in that patient history was checked when the specimen is received.

I built a t-type test called PT HISTORY. It's default result code is "." without the quotes. This result code's text is "No History\FV".

The other result codes are AN, AP, ABN, etc. The text for these result codes is "History On File\FV".

The "\FV" files and verifies the result in case anyone didn't know that.

In the BB calculation dictionary the trigger test and the target test are both PT HISTORY. I assigned the label "B" to this in the calculation. The calculation is as follows.

;The system will check for patient blood type history.

IF{B=. [f bsp bt]};

In English it says: If B (PT HISTORY) is "." then fill in the blood type from the patient history. In this case if there is nothing in patient history then the "." remains and the result is No History. If there is a type, then that result is put in as the result and displayed as History On File.

This helpful for anyone?

We're currently in the midst of switching our Lab's send out reference lab (regular lab, not BB) and we've had to rebuild all of our tests that go out. We have 850 order rules that are only there to make the specimen generate a new label rather than group together on one. These are the [f lord lab link test]( , ) There's also some for bbk and mic. The way this rule works is that you put in a number in the parenthesis, then a comma, then the mnemonic or print number. The first number has to be unique in order for it to not group with other ordered tests. We didn't know you could use the print number instead of the mnemonic until today. Or that variables will work inside the parenthesis. So today I was kicking around and came up with ONE rule to replace the 850 rules. It was so easy I was surprised it worked. I called the rule SEPARATE and made it an order rule. Then used the following logic:

[f lord print#]^P,
[f lord print#]^Q,
[f lord lab link test](Q,P);

In English, the variables P and Q are assigned to the the print number of the test the rule is attached to. Since print numbers are unique you'll never have to worry about these combining with other tests.

Our Meditech contact thought this was a great find and will be evaluating it to add to their knowledge base articles.

23 hours ago, Darren said:

IF{B=. [f bsp bt]};

In English it says: If B (PT HISTORY) is "." then fill in the blood type from the patient history. In this case if there is nothing in patient history then the "." remains and the result is No History. If there is a type, then that result is put in as the result and displayed as History On File.

This helpful for anyone?

This intrigues me.  Does this calculation automatically fill in the previous history?  I asked Meditech if this was possible and they told me it was not so we are manually resulting the history.

9 minutes ago, BankerGirl said:

This intrigues me.  Does this calculation automatically fill in the previous history?  I asked Meditech if this was possible and they told me it was not so we are manually resulting the history.

Yes, it does. It results it as soon as the specimen is received. The result of the calculation will be ABN, ABP, AP, AN, BN, BP, ON, or OP. You can have any of those set as the result code and then make the result text whatever you want. If the calculation sends a blood type I have it translate all of the blood types to History On File. You could leave it the blood type if you want. If no type is sent it just says No History.

I should have also said that the type of calculation is "PRE" and in the trigger test section I have ORD set to N.

12 minutes ago, BankerGirl said:

Yes, it does. It results it as soon as the specimen is received. The result of the calculation will be ABN, ABP, AP, AN, BN, BP, ON, or OP. You can have any of those set as the result code and then make the result text whatever you want. If the calculation sends a blood type I have it translate all of the blood types to History On File. You could leave it the blood type if you want. If no type is sent it just says No History.

I should have also said that the type of calculation is "PRE" and in the trigger test section I have ORD set to N.

I came up with a reflex rule for our fetal bleed screens. We have the fetal bleed in an Order Group that reflex orders the FBS if a tech says that RhIgG is indicated. We don't run fetal bleeds on patients with a gestational age <14 weeks. You attached the reflex rule to the order group.

We have a custom screen on the RhIgG screen order that requires that the gestational age be entered in a query by nursing. It's a number query.

The logic is:

[q L.FF2]^W,
IF{W<14 [f rflx not ok];
[f rflx ok]};

Our number query for the gestational age is L.FF2. We assign it to the letter W and then the rule says if the number is less than 14 don't reflex, otherwise reflex the FBS.

• 1 month later...

Here's the setup I did recently for putting hemacytometers into meditech and have meditech do all of the calculating for the staff.

Here's the RBC or WBC count average formula. R and S are the labels assigned to Side 1 and Side 2 of the hemacytometer

[f qc spec],                     -------This makes it use the calculation for the qc test as well. (I'm a one man paper eliminating machine.)
S!R^H,                           -------This evaluates side 1 and side 2 and assigns H to the higher number.
S&R^L,                          -------This evaluates side 1 and side 2 and assigns L to the lower number.
((H-L):2D/L:2D)^P,          -------H-L (up to 2 decimal places) divided by L. This is the percent difference in the two sides expressed as a decimal.
IF{P*100>10 ">10%";     -------This multiplies the decimal from above by 100 to make the percentage, then looks to see if it's greater than                                        10%. If it is greater, it displays ">10%" which is an unacceptable result and indicates a recount is required.
P*100'>10 (H+L)/2};       -------If the percentage is less than 10% then it calculates the average count of the two sides.

A separate calculation performs the hemacytometer count for RBC and WBC when the number of fields counted is entered. Much simpler than the above one.

(L/F)*10;        -------L is the the average count from above. F is the number of fields counted. If there is a dilution the staff have to multiply this result by the dilution factor manually.

• 4 years later...
On 1/24/2017 at 11:08 AM, Darren said:

Hello! Would any of your meditech users care to share some of your rules and calculations? Meditech's knowledge base is sometimes lacking in what you need to build these things. A lot of the keywords have no explanation of how they're formatted when used. I'll start out with one I came up with.

Filling in that patient history was checked when the specimen is received.

I built a t-type test called PT HISTORY. It's default result code is "." without the quotes. This result code's text is "No History\FV".

The other result codes are AN, AP, ABN, etc. The text for these result codes is "History On File\FV".

The "\FV" files and verifies the result in case anyone didn't know that.

In the BB calculation dictionary the trigger test and the target test are both PT HISTORY. I assigned the label "B" to this in the calculation. The calculation is as follows.

IF{B=. [f bsp bt]};

This helpful for anyone?

Thank you for posting this. I am trying to create an automatic retype order for when the patient doesn't have a history in meditech. I have attempted to use this rule but it won't pull the result on its own. Do you have to manually enter ., AP,AN etc? I have it set up as a PRE rule and was not sure what else I might be missing.  Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:14 PM, PORTAGE said:

Thank you for posting this. I am trying to create an automatic retype order for when the patient doesn't have a history in meditech. I have attempted to use this rule but it won't pull the result on its own. Do you have to manually enter ., AP,AN etc? I have it set up as a PRE rule and was not sure what else I might be missing.  Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

No, we don't have to type in the period. The period is put as the auto result spot on page 3 of the test dictionary. Then on page 5 you put in a period as a result code with No History\FV as the result text. You have to have an Order Group built that you attach to this response to trigger the reflex type. If any other result appears like ABN or OP or whatever you have each built as a result code on page 5 and for the result text put History On File or whatever with the \FV after it. But that will not get any reflex order groups.

I'll try to keep a better eye on checking this site if you have any other questions.