Draw and Band charges

Jennifer Castle

There is no CPT code and we only charge for actual procedures performed.  Most of the "extra" samples that we get come from the oncology department.  I know that if I were having treatment, I would want to minimize blood draws.

I am not sure, but I believe in the US, you cannot charge for anything (including a phlebotomy), when there is no record of a test legitimately ordered and completed.  I believe that there is a code for a courtesy draw, but that is a different situation.

When our phlebots draw and band and extra for BB, if there are no orders following, the specimen is never checked in.

Scott

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:36 AM, Jennifer Castle said:

Yes, it's a tube drawn for Blood Bank that has no testing associated with it. It's simply ready for testing if needed. We hold them for three days.

It is a formalized process at our facility, Clot to Hold must be ordered in HIS and resulted in LIS.  No charge.  Based on internal data, we don't centrifuge prior to storage.

Ours is called a draw and hold and there is no charge.  We save them as valid BB specimens if needed.  We have two racks in our fridge-actual BB specimens (Type and Cross, Type and Screen and Type); the second rack holds cord bloods, prenatal type and screens, FMH, DAT HEM, and Draw and Hold specimens.