I'm coming back to Providence!

Malcolm Needs

Thanks to a very generous invitation from the organisers (in particular Phil Hoffman, aka Dr Pepper on this site, and Maddie Josephs, Chair) I will be attending and speaking at the 69th Annual Clinical Laboratory Science Convention - Central New England (ASCLS - CNE) taking place at the Rhode Island Convention Center between May 9th and May 11th 2017.  I will be talking on Wednesday 10th May 2017, giving a lecture entitled, "An In Depth Description of the Kell Blood Group System." and then, after a well-deserved break for the delegates, and for those that can stand it, a second lecture entitled, "King Henry Viii, McLeod Syndrome, Chronic Granulomatous Disease and Kx."

Sorry if this comes across as being "big headed", but I am really excited about coming back over to the USA.    :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

• Cliff pinned this topic

That's marvelous! What good sense these organizers have in providing a wider range of speakers!! After you've given the talk on Henry, could you share some of it with those of us that can't get to RI ? I'm going to try to get there but you know what budgets are like - one minute you have it and the next it has gone up in smoke :) 

39 minutes ago, Pony said:

That's marvelous! What good sense these organizers have in providing a wider range of speakers!! After you've given the talk on Henry, could you share some of it with those of us that can't get to RI ? I'm going to try to get there but you know what budgets are like - one minute you have it and the next it has gone up in smoke :) 

Certainly, if that is okay with Cliff.  I have to warn you though - the presentation itself contains a photograph of me. so that might well put people off!

It will be lovely to see your smiling face :) Or you can do what I do. Use a picture of yourself when (in your opinion) you looked your best. Mine has to be at least 20yrs old. No sense going too young - then absolutely no one would recognize me . Although..... anonymity has its appeal. Especially after an episode of "foot in mouth"

1 hour ago, Pony said:

It will be lovely to see your smiling face :) Or you can do what I do. Use a picture of yourself when (in your opinion) you looked your best. Mine has to be at least 20yrs old. No sense going too young - then absolutely no one would recognize me . Although..... anonymity has its appeal. Especially after an episode of "foot in mouth"

Oh, believe me. this photograph is certainly NOT when I am looking my best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:50 AM, Malcolm Needs said:

I look forward to meeting you.  I'll be the one in a suit at the front making a fool of myself!

Not possible, Malcolm!  You have the 'most liked content' here!

Besides, you'll be speaking to all us blood bankers - kindred spirits, as it were.

• 3 months later...

We’re excited ~~ the 69th ASCLS-CNE Annual Convention’s speaker program is now available on the web ~ the site is open for online registration  

Providence is a great city to visit in the spring – and this is an excellent opportunity for networking and learning.

Feel free to share this link  www.ascls-cne.org/annual-convention  to view the program and register!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The meeting was just fabulous (as were my hosts), and it was simply fantastic to meet so many people from this wonderful site.

It was be invidious of me to mention the names of the individual lecturers, as they were all excellent, but I have to say, nevertheless, that there were five people who stood out for me; namely Ed Synder, Melanie Champion, Ghislain Noumsi, Kathy Rafferty and Anne Eder (which rather makes my earlier comment about being invidious redundant, but this is not so say that the other speakers were not anything less than superb).

I tried to upload a couple of photographs (and failed miserably!), but, as promised, I have sent my two lectures to Cliff Reeves for uploading onto the site (couldn't do it myself- they were either too big, or it was beyond my IT ability - or both!).

Thank you Malcolm, for traveling so far and sharing your expertise with us, and thank you to Phil as well ~~ it was an excellent convention ~~  Save the date, the 2018 70th Annual Convention is April 24th through the 26th ~~

Edited by Maureen
added date detail

19 hours ago, Malcolm Needs said:

I tried to upload a couple of photographs (and failed miserably!), but, as promised, I have sent my two lectures to Cliff Reeves for uploading onto the site (couldn't do it myself- they were either too big, or it was beyond my IT ability - or both!).

Hmm, I got neither.  I am having email issues.  If you sent it to my Verizon email, please PM me and I'll give you my gmail address.  Verizon is working sporadically, I suspect they don't care as they are going out of the email business.

13 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Hmm, I got neither.  I am having email issues.  If you sent it to my Verizon email, please PM me and I'll give you my gmail address.  Verizon is working sporadically, I suspect they don't care as they are going out of the email business.

Oh, sorry Cliff.  One of the lectures (the Henry VIII) was enormous, as it had a lot of photographs on it.  I tried to zip it, but even then it was way too big to email, and so I burned the two Powerpoint lectures and an explanatory Word document on to a CD-ROM, and have sent ti through the normal "snail mail" to your hospital.  You will probably receive it sometime in November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!