Titre or Wash

Baby Banker

I don't do any but if id did I would titer.  This kind of depends on the size institution and the plt type availability.  At my current facility I can only get group O or group A - depends what is available.  Most of my plts are going to go to onc pts.  I cannot return product with a high titer . . .  don't have the ability to wash . . . unfortunate but that is the way it is here.

We are a pediatric hospital.  We would give one dose of incompatible platelets (if ABO compat are not available) without obtaining any approval from the med director.  If we need to give more than one dose (i.e. one pooled or one plateletpheresis for an adult), we would obtain MD approval and likely volume-reduce the plasma volume before issuing.  We do not titer any platelet components.

We stock only type A platelets. We don't titer and have no way to wash them. We do order type specific if requested but that may mean delaying infusion until the next day. For pediatric emergencies, we will transfuse the A platelets but order type specific if not an emergency.

• 3 weeks later...