Corrected report policy for transfusion services

BBR

Our quality plan says that a hospital occurrence report gets completed, then that is followed up on by the lab manager  with action depending on when the error was detected and whether or not it represented a patient safety issue. At that point I would be involved if it represented a safety issue or a somewhat frequent problem and would investigate why the error was made and counsel/retrain as needed. This is a general lab policy. My quality plan basically says that I follow the general lab policy for corrected results.

8 hours ago, AMcCord said:

Our quality plan says that a hospital occurrence report gets completed, then that is followed up on by the lab manager  with action depending on when the error was detected and whether or not it represented a patient safety issue. At that point I would be involved if it represented a safety issue or a somewhat frequent problem and would investigate why the error was made and counsel/retrain as needed. This is a general lab policy. My quality plan basically says that I follow the general lab policy for corrected results.

Thank you. That helps. Some more questions though...

How would you handle the result entry once wrong result already resulted in patient record and then you have to enter the correct report? Do you permenantly delete the accession number with the wrong results or leave the results and append with the comment and does it take away wrong results permenantly from the physician portal?  

We are not actually reporting patient tests in a blood bank information system at this time (yes, we are still all on paper :writersblock:) so this answer may change once we go live with Haemonetics (whenever that is). We currently have reports built into the LIS that allow us to report Blood Bank test results. If an error is discovered in one of our (manual) entries, the result is corrected. The system requires us to add a explanation for the change and a call box pops up. We will notify the appropriate caregiver and document,  via the call box, who we talked with and what we told them. The date and time of contact is captured by the system. We can also document incomplete calls - in other words, we couldn't make contact with the person we needed to talk to on the first attempt. Every attempt can be documented as an incomplete call, then when we do make contact, that call can be documented as completed.

The report that is in the patient EMR and that the physician sees has the correct result where the test result belongs. There is a notation that the result is a 'corrected result'. Below the test entry a comment then appears that says that this result has been corrected at date/time by tech and that it was initially reported as **** (whatever the incorrect result was) by date/time by tech. My understanding is that it is a regulatory requirement to show the corrected result, as well as what was originally reported (though it needs to be very clear which is which). You also have to show why the result was corrected and that the provider or other appropriate person was notified in a timely manner. The pop up boxes in our system take care of those requirements and don't let people forget to do it.

The only time we would ever actually delete an accession#/test results would be if a test was resulted out on a specimen that was from an entirely different patient. Big mistake there! But we would have to be careful about determining whether or not a nurse/doctor saw the erroneous result and make sure that any necessary notifications were well documented.