Meditech crossmatches

I was wondering if anyone had come across being able to issue blood to patients without the antibody screen resulted? We had a situation where this happened last week and the screens were negative and the technician had wrote out the results for the antibody screens on our crossmatch cards but forgot to enter it in meditech. The tech was able to issue blood to the patients without any qa prompts or anything flagging them that there was anything missing in the process!? I personally am new to meditech and this seems very unstable and scary to me! Does anyone have any insight to this issue? Thanks in advance!

It's more than likely a dictionary setting that you can have edited.  We recently moved to Meditech 6.1 and I have it set that you have to result and release a type and ABS before you can even crossmatch a unit.  A little annoying, but it makes sure there is a current one before you can crossmatch.  With that being said, we can add on units to another requisition (with no ABS ordered on that spec number ) as long as the patient has a current ABS in the last 3 days.  That also is a dictionary setting for the system to look back on the same acct for the 3 days. 

Hope this helps

Definitely a dictionary problem, and I think you will find it in the product dictionary, actually. For each group, if I remember right, you can specify whether a current antibody screen is required. Perhaps someone with current access to Meditech can confirm, I'm using a different LIS now.

14 hours ago, Khealy said:

I was wondering if anyone had come across being able to issue blood to patients without the antibody screen resulted? We had a situation where this happened last week and the screens were negative and the technician had wrote out the results for the antibody screens on our crossmatch cards but forgot to enter it in meditech. The tech was able to issue blood to the patients without any qa prompts or anything flagging them that there was anything missing in the process!? I personally am new to meditech and this seems very unstable and scary to me! Does anyone have any insight to this issue? Thanks in advance!

See page 6 of your product dictionary.

I am puzzled as to why antibody screen results are being entered on paper and then in the computer.  That process is almost guaranteed to set you up for failure.

I'm using Meditech C/S 5.67.  All results are entered directly into Meditech from the test tube or gel card, no paper! What's scary to me is that Meditech has been implemented at your site without anyone looking under the hood to see what's possible.

Product Dictionary page 6.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

We have Meditech C/S. In the product dictionary on page 6 you can enter settings to require a current blood type and a current antibody screen. I have these set to "B" and 72 hours which requires a current blood type and screen within 72 hours before it will allow you to crossmatch any units and before it will allow you to issue the units.

1 hour ago, Dansket said:

See page 5 of the LIS Access dictionary.  Set to Y allows users to edit/extend the specimen expiration date.

accessdictionary.pdf

We've enabled edits of specimen expiration, the issue is that we have the product safeguards in place (Product dictionary, page 6, B for Type and B for antibody screen). When a patient comes in through an outpatient area they get a clinic account. The Oncology transfusion or surgery is on a completely different account, so if blood is ordered, it can't be crossmatched without the blood type and antibody screen results.

Sure, in the requisition desktop you can move the type and screen from the clinic account but that's actually out of compliance from a billing perspective.