31/10/16.

Malcolm Needs

I'm so glad to hear that you will not be retiring from this site. I always appreciate a response from you, even (especially) if I have posted something that was incorrect because I consider you to be one of the great minds in the Blood Bank World! Thank you for being willing to share your vast knowledge with the rest of us!

Although other people may not agree (some vehemently I suspect), I do not usually boast, however, in this case, I am going to make an exception. This is a note I received from Joyce Poole yesterday, of which I am inordinately proud (in fact, I nearly blubbed when I read it).

It runs as follows,

"Dear Malcolm,

I am so sorry that I could not join you and colleagues for your retirement "DO".  I would have loved to be there to help give you the send off you deserve.  You have contributed so much to the world of blood transfusion over your long and distinguished career.

You are a special person to me and I like to think I played a small part in sowing the seeds of your enthusiasm for blood transfusion during your formative years at IBGRL.  You went a long way afterwards and put a lot of time and energy into teaching others and encouraging them to do things PROPERLY.  So, so important.

In recent years there have been a lot of obstacles to us doing what we love to do best - the practice of blood group serology.  For me, I feel I left at the right time.  I hope you feel that too.

Wishing you a wonderful stress free and happy retirement.

Love,

Joyce"

"Sowed the seeds"?  Joyce not only sowed the seeds, but nurtured the seedlings and looked after the fully grown plant!  A quite wonderful mentor.

Edited by Malcolm Needs

Hi Malcolm,

I just want to add my congratulations on your retirement.  I wish you much happiness in this new chapter in your life.  I have both enjoyed and learned very much from your posts, I thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.   I look for your input on these challenging topics, am glad to hear you are not leaving us!

Karen Finegan MT(ASCP)SBB  Mayo Clinic Hospital, Phoenix AZ