testing for transfusion of platelets

Sherie Bruns

Do anyone  require a current sample and a separate blood bank armband for transfusion of platelets?  My current Blood bank only requires two historic ABO/Rh tests before transfusing platelets.  I am wondering if this meets the CAP standard for prevention of misidentification, TRM30550.

Yes, we do.

We are a small facility that has standardized collection of blood samples for pretransfusion compatibility testing.  All blood component requests require that a Type and Screen blood sample be collected within 3 days of the intended date of transfusion.  We also use the TYPENEX Blood-Recipient Identification System.

We band and require a current type. However, for outpatients that are receiving platelets multiple times over a period of a week or two or receive blood with a platelet infusion anticipated within a week, we allow transfusion of platelets with no additional testing if the patient agrees to leave wear the armband associated with the original specimen/ABO & Rh type.

Our level 1 trauma center transfuses platelets as needed.  No regard to ABO/RH type.

On routine transfusions-we try to give type compatible-but no hesitation if they are not available.

Only flags are for RH neg women and babies.  

No unique armband needed for components,  only RBC's.

For inpatients we require a current sample with a BB armband (we use  with barcode built in), as 90% off out inpatient's will need blood the next day.  Outpatients for platelets only, if we have 2 ABO/RH specimens, we do not require a sample.

On 10/17/2016 at 2:52 PM, AMcCord said:

We band and require a current type. However, for outpatients that are receiving platelets multiple times over a period of a week or two or receive blood with a platelet infusion anticipated within a week, we allow transfusion of platelets with no additional testing if the patient agrees to leave wear the armband associated with the original specimen/ABO & Rh type.

I should add that when I say current type, I mean that as long as the INpatient is wearing the band associated with the specimen used for the type, we will provide platelets (and FFP) without additional testing. There is no 'expiration' on that blood type for non-red cell products as long as the band is worn.