Instrumentation Turn Around Times

mld123

So we are in the process of looking for a blood bank instrument and I have seen demos of Immucor ECHO, Ortho Vision, Grifols Wadiana and Erytra, and Biorad Tango Infinity.  I cannot find a lot of information on turn around times for these instruments above what little information I received from the vendors.  Anyone have any feedback that uses these instruments?  Approximate turn around times for Type/Screen, Panel, and Full Crossmatch?

Also, if you have any good recommendations for instruments that you use.  I am having trouble narrowing down to 1 as my favorite right now.

Thanks,

mld123

I don't have any specific information for you about these instruments.  What I would just like to point out to you is that TAT is a parameter that is almost impossible to calculate as it will depend on what profile of tests you select (rather than the individual tests),  how many samples you load at any one time, and what else the instrument is doing when you loaded those samples.  TAT for a single panel carried out on its own, when the machine was doing nothing else will not be the same as TAT for a single panel loaded when the machine is already carrying a whole series of other tests

We are also analyzer shopping, and I found that the data provided by the company should only be taken w/ a grain of salt.  Some companies start the timer when the tube leaves the tech's hand, while others start at the beginning of pipetting (negating all of the sample & reagent identification steps).  Most of the ones we have looked at are within a few minutes of one another.  Some of my biggest motivators were a manual back-up method using same methodology, random access, the ability to run infant specimens, phenotyping capabilities, on-board reagent storage, and quality reagent cells.  We are moving forward with the Erytra by Grifols (currently have a ProVue).

I know someone that has been live on the Erytra for a year and another site that has been using the Echo if you want a contact not selected by the vendors (although the Grifols site has done demos for the vendor).  I know a couple of sites that are going live with the Vision, although one of them at least has very strong brand loyalty. There was an interesting article on the Tango getting false positive carryover from daratumumab-affected samples.  That's not a common worry for most of us but it was very interesting to me. 

On 9/2/2016 at 9:31 AM, Teristella said:

Immucor's Echo has a TAT of about 25 minutes for T/S, panels and IgG XM.

ID Panels will take about the same amount of time.

Do remember however that your TAT will be affected by any other samples running on the instrument in the same batch and by other batches already running. If you are running multiple T&S samples resulting for the antibody screens will be 2 patients at a time and there will be a 6 minute delay between pairs of samples. Using the STAT option when ordering tests on new samples may shorten the wait in the event that other samples are already scheduled, but not yet running on the instrument.

I would imagine that there could be similar delays like this with other instruments. They are all going to be limited by the number of probes, centrifuges, robot arms and incubator space.

Thanks for all the input.  We are currently using Ortho Gel manual stations but we are looking at all options at the moment.  I have used solid phase as well as gel instruments and know the pros and cons of each.  I think we have it narrowed down to gel so either the Erytra or the Vision at this point.  We are a small to medium volume lab so I am just trying to decide if the Erytra is just too big for us.

Thanks again!!

On 9/4/2016 at 8:14 PM, Mabel Adams said:

I know someone that has been live on the Erytra for a year and another site that has been using the Echo if you want a contact not selected by the vendors (although the Grifols site has done demos for the vendor).  I know a couple of sites that are going live with the Vision, although one of them at least has very strong brand loyalty. There was an interesting article on the Tango getting false positive carryover from daratumumab-affected samples.  That's not a common worry for most of us but it was very interesting to me. 

The daratumumab "article" is actually a podcast on Blood Bank Guy.

Remember that turn-around-time is based on how many specimens are running in advance of the new ones being added for the next run. Also remember that some analyzers will not allow you to add additional specimens if testing is already in progress (not continuous access). It's helpful to be allowed to cancel testing that has not already started (without loss of reagent volume) and add STAT testing.