Liquid Plasma vs FFP

RosieDude

I was wondering, I work a level one trauma center.  We have kept O= units in a monitored refrigerator in our emergency for some time now and recently began storing liquid plasma for our patients in the ER too.  Can these liquid plasma units be used in place of FFP when they near their expiration date?  Does anyone do this?

We do not use the liquid plasma on 'regular' patients (i.e. non-emergent) due to the following published in the FDA Circular of Information:

Indications

Liquid Plasma is indicated for the initial treatment of patients who are undergoing massive transfusion because of life-threatening trauma/hemorrhages and who have clinically significant coagulation deficiencies.

Contraindications

See Fresh Frozen Plasma. Do not use Liquid Plasma as the treatment for coagulation factor deficiencies where other products are available with higher factor concentrations.

There is also a phrase in there stating that liquid plasma may contain viable lymphocytes (i.e. risk of GvHD).

Edit: This is assuming you are using the liquid plasma, never frozen (26 day expiration), and not thawed plasma (5 day).

Edited by Teristella
See post