Blood Bank Freezer

David Saikin

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:32 AM, jnadeau said:

Just got an under counter Helmer freezer a few months ago David.  What was your "bad luck"  with them?  Got a Helmer refrigerator coming in a few weeks too - please do tell.

I love Helmer products.  Used to be you called up and spoke with one of the Helmers . . . that said.  Had an iseries in NH.  After the first year it would crash, for a number of small reasons, every 10-12 months . . . a gasket deteriorates, the inside unit attached to the fan craps out, nothing major but it forces you to move product, increase documentation.  At my current facility iseries:  fan motor dies, compressor dies, - I think there might be exterior pressures on those parts which I have resolved but still  . . .  I just put in a capital request for one of the Panasonics.   Hopeuflly it will perform more efficiently.

Have had no problems with Helmer Refs except to add coolant sporadically.  Have that built into maintenance schedule where I am now (I think so anyway)

Edited by David Saikin
more to say

sometime it may be the product is not used as intended....at least for us that was the case for freezer......our biomed technician has been with our hospital for >25 hrs and he used to cover the area of the fan in the back so he did not have to clean every quarter.

After so many discussion , finally bio med department head intervene and stopped practice....... because of cover/filter, the compressor was working too much and it died and had to replace it in less than five years...not anticipating any problems. we have two freezers, three double door refrigerators, platelet incubator, small ref. for ER, two plasma thawer and a cell washer....all helmer and very happy.....  

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:44 AM, macarton said:

our Sanyo is model # MDF-U537,  we got it as a backup to  an RTF that the drawers are falling 'lit's the only one we use and are  letting chemistry use the RTF.  We'll use the RTF when defrosting.

Do you have the manual defrost?  Is this a problem?  I opted for the automatic.  Do you think I'll need to move product when this occurs?

it is manual defrost, I would go for the automatic if I had the option.  we have our old RTF still set up with recorder that we transfer everything to so we can defrost, which is usually an all day job, and we'll move stuff back the next day.