SBB

AmitaP

Hello to all my seniors in Blood Banking.

I am currently a Med Tech in Blood Bank with 10+ years of experience. I plan to give my SBB without going through the SBB school.

Is anyone aware if this is possible?

Please guide...

Ami

If you visit the ASCP website it let's you know what the requirements are for taking the SBB without going through an SBB school. The last time I checked on it you only needed 5 years of Blood Bank experience, but it could have changed.

I too challenged the exam - won't say how long ago but I got specimens to test after passing the written . . . go for it.  You will need to have donor experience.  If you don't have that you may be able to hook up with your blood supplier for a brief internship.

• 2 weeks later...

When I went that route (long ago) I also had to get an attestation from a board certified pathologist that I had appropriate knowledge of a whole giant laundry list of blood bank topics. My lab's medical director was happy to do that for me. I would recommend getting your hands on a copy of the Last Chance Review material or the latest AABB review material (I believe that is presented yearly at AABBs annual meeting and members here have shared that information in the past) to direct your studies. If you study study study, you can pass with flying colors. It definitely gave me a feeling of accomplishment when I passed.