Temp Indicator devices

kirkaw

I'd like to know how many people are using temp indicator devices on their blood units. We are currently using the HemoTemp II stickers on units that are put in coolers for the OR, but for all other 'routine' transfusions, we just have the '30 min rule', meaning that blood can only be out of the blood bank for 30 min.

I have been approached by multiple vendors lately regarding temperature monitoring devices that attache to units, namely Saf-T-Vue and Blood Temp 10. What are people's experience with any of these devices? Do you apply them to all (blood) units or only those that are in a blood transport container like a cooler?

Thanks.

We only use HemoTemp II stickers on units in coolers as well.

AABB says the 30 minute rule is out!   They told me if we are going to continue the 30 minute rule we have to validate.  They want the temperatures to be checked when a unit is returned regardless of how long it's been out.  I asked them if we should start putting HemoTemps on every unit if we start doing that.  She said she wouldn't because they are expensive just wrap around a thermometer if they come back.

We use Safe-T-Vues on any units going out in coolers.  We have an outpatient clinic which is in the hospital and I validate their coolers.  If a patient is only getting one unit I don't always put one on-it's the second unit that is vital.  We even have a canned comment that we enter when we issue that states that a Safe-T-Vue is attached and it is issued in a cooler.  That way if anyone looks at that transfusion and wonders why it was started 3 hours after it was issued, we are both covered.  The ED is notorious for returning units and the Safe-T-Vues are red.

I like Safe-T-Vues but you have to be careful applying them not to touch the center part or it will turn red due to finger heat!

We bought the Rapid Response thermometer that looks like a scale.  Wrapping the unit around a thermometer was not real easy to do.  It isn't cheap ($500) but it's easy.

http://www.thermcoproducts.com/BLOOD-BANK-Thermometer.html?zoom_highlight=RAPID+RESPONSE

Edited by mollyredone
ADDED LINK TO PRODUCT

We use Safe-T-Vue 6 for ER, OR and L&D coolers (no one else can have coolers in-house).  We send units in coolers to our Cancer Center (building is very close to us) and we validate those annually using Safe-T-Vue 10 monitors.  We do not use monitors for anything else (other than annual validation of      in-house coolers).  I have used others in the past but prefer these.  Actually, what I liked best were the ones that were made of glass and had a gel and charcoal pellets.....but I am "assuming" those were discontinued because glass and a blood bag don't mix well??

And I agree, the 30 minute rule is out.  You need to actually take the temperature when unit is returned.

Brenda Hutson

We put hemotemps on every RBC issued.  If you only take the temp when the unit is returned, you have no proof that it was treated correctly while it was gone.   Maybe the RN left it sitting on the radiator and then said "Oh #$@#, I can't return it hot, so I'll put it in the fridge for a few minutes to cool it back down."

20 hours ago, pbaker said:

We put hemotemps on every RBC issued.  If you only take the temp when the unit is returned, you have no proof that it was treated correctly while it was gone.   Maybe the RN left it sitting on the radiator and then said "Oh #$@#, I can't return it hot, so I'll put it in the fridge for a few minutes to cool it back down."

How many RBCs do you issue a month?

I have used both the indicators. I prefer hemotemp over Safe T Vue and the reason being safe T vue easily gets deattached from the unit. Also, safe T vue, after activation, needs to be in refrigerator which could affect the workflow if you don't have refrigerator next to your issuing station. 

We switched from the Safe-T-Vue to the BloodTemp indicators recently.  We had issues with the staff touching the indicators while applying them and so we were wasting a lot of them.  I like the BloodTemp ones because they don't have to be refrigeratred prior to use, so touching them is not a problem.  Also, they are smaller than the Safe-T-Vue.  They are a little more expensive, but I think with the decreased waste we will probably about break even.  We only apply them to units in coolers.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:02 PM, kirkaw said:

Do you document the unit's temp when it is returned or is it assumed that if you indicate the the visual inspection is OK (or whatever 'check' your computer system requires) that the temp is <10?

Our computer has a set place to just say Acceptable or Not Acceptable....but then there is a place to free-text the actual temperature.

Brenda Hutson

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 3:37 PM, pbaker said:

While that is a true statement, I think you will find very few places that are quite that extreme.....mostly because I am thinking that probably 99% of the units we send to a Nursing Unit, are never returned (so that would be a lot of wasted, expensive temperature monitors).  Plus you need to give them a    little bit of the benefit of the doubt (i.e. that they would not place a unit of blood on a radiator....or some other such thing).  I could be wrong, but have just never heard of places using temp. monitors on all  RBCs going to a Nursing Unit.  And even though we are taking the temp. of units coming back, we probably still all say they have to be back in <30 minutes such that hopefully, any extreme situation (like sitting on a radiator) would be evident upon      return in such a short period of time??  I am thinking......     Now coolers are another thing......especially in emergency situations.  We KNOW they take units out (because having the cooler sitting right beside the bed is not close enough....they want that unit sitting right by the person's head.....ha ha); then they return the unit to the cooler.  And when it comes back with an unacceptable monitor, they swear they did not remove it from the cooler.  At one place I worked that sent coolers to OR, my  predecessor would accept the unit back as long as it was "cool" upon return.  Um Hmm.......

Just my thoughts....:)

Brenda Hutson

4 hours ago, BankerGirl said:

We switched from the Safe-T-Vue to the BloodTemp indicators recently.  We had issues with the staff touching the indicators while applying them and so we were wasting a lot of them.  I like the BloodTemp ones because they don't have to be refrigeratred prior to use, so touching them is not a problem.  Also, they are smaller than the Safe-T-Vue.  They are a little more expensive, but I think with the decreased waste we will probably about break even.  We only apply them to units in coolers.

Just takes time and practice (really) for staff to learn to use Safe-T-Vue correctly; but eventually they get it.  I did make my staff practice when we first started using them.....and part of my annual Direct Observation on Emergent and Massive Protocol is that they have to successfully place a Safe-T-Vue 6 monitor on a unit.

Brenda Hutson

I agree with you about the practice Brenda, but the additional benefits of smaller size and (mostly) no refrigeration were the deciding factors.  We don't use them very often so I was constantly having to rotate the monitors in and out of the refrigerator.  Plus when they are stressed in a MTP situation, it is easy to be careless and mishandle the Safe-T-Vues.  Those are the units most likely to be returned to us.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 2:37 PM, pbaker said:

I understand.  She said to harp on making sure nurses do not pick up blood until they are 100% ready to give blood. This is not really an issue for us or I would dive deeper.  We very rarely have blood returned.

On 7/15/2016 at 0:36 PM, mollyredone said:

We use Safe-T-Vues on any units going out in coolers.  We have an outpatient clinic which is in the hospital and I validate their coolers.  If a patient is only getting one unit I don't always put one on-it's the second unit that is vital.  We even have a canned comment that we enter when we issue that states that a Safe-T-Vue is attached and it is issued in a cooler.  That way if anyone looks at that transfusion and wonders why it was started 3 hours after it was issued, we are both covered.  The ED is notorious for returning units and the Safe-T-Vues are red.

I like Safe-T-Vues but you have to be careful applying them not to touch the center part or it will turn red due to finger heat!

We bought the Rapid Response thermometer that looks like a scale.  Wrapping the unit around a thermometer was not real easy to do.  It isn't cheap ($500) but it's easy.

http://www.thermcoproducts.com/BLOOD-BANK-Thermometer.html?zoom_highlight=RAPID+RESPONSE

How do you verify that this scale is taking temperatures accurately?  Do you have to send it out annually?

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:59 PM, ltechlin said:

How do you verify that this scale is taking temperatures accurately?  Do you have to send it out annually?

I too am curious about this temperature monitor.  How do you validate it upon receipt?  Can anyone share their validation method?

Validation for this is no different than for any other thermometer.  Check it annually against an NIST thermometer.  I just lay the thermometer on top of the "scale" thermometer.  If the temperature it is displaying matches the NIST thermometer, you are good to go.  You should also check it against a unit by placing the unit on the thermometer, then fold the unit around your NIST thermometer.  Should agree within 1 degree.