Thermometer Calibration

So in reviewing some new thermometer calibration records, I just noticed a paragraph at the bottom that my predecessor had written about acceptable results.  Problem is, neither my Leads or my Predecessor remember anything about it.....nor have we been following it. But then I am not convinced it is an accurate statement but wanted to throw it out there before changing it.

So we calibrate the new thermometer (or existing ones if it is for annual calibration) against a certified thermometer.  So what the paragraph states for acceptability is:  If there is a difference of + 1C, this is acceptable, but a correction is required.  Affix a label to the thermometer indicating the correction factor.  So the way I would interpret that (and as I said, the ones who have been here for many years longer than I cannot explain it) would be that if for example the new thermometer is 0.5C higher than the certified thermometer, a label must be affixed to the thermometer that lists the variation (i.e. +5C) and that everyday then when you take the temperature of that thermometer, you have to add 0.5C to whatever it is reading.  I have never heard of that.  My inclination is to say that if the thermometer being calibrated is < 1C of the certified thermometer, it is within an acceptable range....period.

But if the above statement is correct (or a variation thereof), PLEASE let me know.  :)

Thanks so much,

Brenda Hutson, MT(ASCP)SBB