Blood Recall

19 hours ago, mollyredone said:

Yes, but all the units that were recalled for us (so far) had already been transfused.

We had transfused quite a bit of ours too.  

Is your hospital doing any follow up with patients that got the units? 

Not so far.  I haven't heard back from my medical director.  I would think it would only affect patients who were at risk for CMV or TA-GVHD.  I have also checked my transfusion reactions and haven't encountered one of those units yet.  So my feeling is if they haven't had a reaction by now, they probably won't or we would have heard about it.

I'm the same way.   But my MD is very umm.. I can't think of a word.    But there's a good chance he'll want me diving in to every patient that got transfused.

I feel like our blood supplier also should be telling us how to handle this since the FDA is involved. 

The FDA states to report adverse events.

We are notifying the ordering providers of transfused patients, with a request to let us know of any unexpected clinical events have occurred subsequently, which could be  related to this transfusion.

Some of these units on my list were transfused over a month ago.   I'm already up to 100 units and I'm still not finished going through it.  My blood supplier has given us ZERO information on what to do.  Only to keep a record of it.  

We are now receiving Red Blood Cells non leukoreduced.   How is everyone managing RBC transfusions for their patients?

We are limiting RBC transfusions for trauma and non oncology patients?  Does anyone have a deviation policy to use RBCs?

At first we ordered some Non LR but we don't have an option for doctors to order NonLR RBCs and we don't have any products built in our system to be NonLR and it was going to be a nightmare.

So, we called a new blood supplier and they got our shelves filled.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:40 PM, David Saikin said:

I just walked into this in my new position . . . WOW.  I think we are doing a f/u on all transfusions to determine if the patients were definitive candidates for leukos or not.  This is my task starting tomorrow.  Waiting for a complete list from the blood supplier.

I know you're probably busy.

I've called the Doctor employed by our Blood Supplier, I've called the FDA.  If I can get a number I'll call Haemonetics.  I can't seem to get anything in writing about what the heck we're suppose to be doing. What documentation I need to be doing so this doesn't come back on us.

what are you doing?

17 hours ago, amym1586 said:

I know you're probably busy.

I've called the Doctor employed by our Blood Supplier, I've called the FDA.  If I can get a number I'll call Haemonetics.  I can't seem to get anything in writing about what the heck we're suppose to be doing. What documentation I need to be doing so this doesn't come back on us.

what are you doing?

Still waiting for an excel listing of units - should come today.  We are in a bit of a quandary.  We are going to see if we transfused units or not .  We may just issue a blanket statement to our MDs stating the problem and that if they had patients transfused during the recall period they can contact the BB to see if they rec'd the non-leukos  or routine inventory.  We have a lot of impacted units.

2 hours ago, David Saikin said:

Still waiting for an excel listing of units - should come today.  We are in a bit of a quandary.  We are going to see if we transfused units or not .  We may just issue a blanket statement to our MDs stating the problem and that if they had patients transfused during the recall period they can contact the BB to see if they rec'd the non-leukos  or routine inventory.  We have a lot of impacted units.

I think I have ~130 last I looked.

Blanket statement sounds good.   The Doctor on staff with United Blood Services assured me that the FDA was not mandating that we report to clinicians. She said she checked the diagnosis of each patient that received a unit and looked to see if any patients were on a transplant list. She checked for any transfusion reactions. She assured me it was minimal risk of any problems, not much for a doctor to do now and that the units were at least 90-95 % LR.