RHOGAM "ANTIBODIES"

We are running out of room on the shelf for our antibody patient workups.  We keep them in a manila folder and I try to pull out any deceased patients and put them in a drawer for another 10 years.  We have so many Rhogam "anti-D"s.  When complying with CAP regulations, would these even be considered antibodies?  Could we just document in the computer that it is probable residual RhoGam, and the date of the injection and not create a new folder?  That way it would pop up whenever that patient gets another antibody screen.  Or would we have to save the panel worksheets to prove that we had determined it was probable RhoGam?

1 hour ago, ANORRIS said:

We call them Passive D's if due to RhIG.

We report them out as "Probable passive D due to RhIg dose".  But do you keep the panels and treat them as antibody workups?  Or are all your worksheets scanned like Auntie-D's?

Yes, you need to save the panel sheets, hard copy or scan.  

You could develop a new policy for suspected RHIG workups to minimize paperwork.   I don't know how many panel sheets you are saving now but you could probably reduce to one.  

Edited by R1R2

Thanks for the replies.  We just keep two sheets for each workup (screen and panel), so nobody's file is very big.  I'll just move all those workups to another shelf.  I used to use local obituaries and the Social Security Death Index to thin down my folders, but that site has become very unfriendly to use.

• 6 months later...
On 5/13/2016 at 6:40 AM, David Saikin said:

I call them anti-D probably due to residual antenatal RhIg.  While they are valid antibody ids I do not count them as clinically significant (don't have to do ahgxm).

So you allow these to be eligible for electronic crossmatch?

One blood bank I worked at created a test order called r-set and you were able to result the r-set cells from your panel in the computer, along with an auto control and do an interpretation with comments (lot number of panel, etc).  With results and interp stored in the computer, we bypassed any paper work.  This was Cerner Millennium.

We call it "Passive anti-D" and put a comment "Anti-D probably due RhIG received on [date]" . If the antibody screen is still positive, we do a saline IAT crossmatch. If later on, the screen becomes negative, we just do an immediate-spin crossmatch. Sorry, we haven't startred electronic crossmatch yet.