Meditech Product Build

Hello everyone,

I am building and editing my Meditech v 6.1x and I have a general question about products.  While building all of the various ISBT coded red cells, pheresis red cells, etc, is there any reason to be specific on the EMR ID that these are "Apheresis Red Cells CPD" etc, or is it acceptable to be generic and just call all of the various product "Red Blood Cells", "Irradiated Red Blood Cells" "Pheresis Platelets", etc? I really want to be simple on the EMR ID because that is what will go on the report, and it just seems really messy if each variation of a product has a different name.  Thank you. Maryann

We have Meditech 5.67.  When products are ordered from the floor or in the lab, they are either PPH, PRBC, or FFP with appropriate CMV or IRR properties if needed.  In our product menu we have apheresis platelets of PPH, PPH 2 or PPH3, red cells are PRBC, ARBC or ARBC 2, FFPT, AFPT and liquid plasma fall under FFP.  Does that make sense?  

ETA: in our external reports the products are only reported out as the first three items.

Edited by mollyredone

We are switching to Meditech 6.1 on May 1st.  It's been a stressful year and a half!!!

I had them specific for the EMR and the consultants told me to get them into more generic categories because the doctors wouldn't care what anticoagulant was in the bag.

I used packed cells, LP packed cells, LP-irr packed cells, FFP, LP Pheresis platelets, LP-irr Pheresis platelets.

Hope this helps

Natalie

• 9 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:38 PM, mollyredone said:

We have Meditech 5.67.  When products are ordered from the floor or in the lab, they are either PPH, PRBC, or FFP with appropriate CMV or IRR properties if needed.  In our product menu we have apheresis platelets of PPH, PPH 2 or PPH3, red cells are PRBC, ARBC or ARBC 2, FFPT, AFPT and liquid plasma fall under FFP.  Does that make sense?  

ETA: in our external reports the products are only reported out as the first three items.

Hi Mollyredone,

We also use Meditech 5.67. About your platelets, you mentioned that you have PPH, PPH 2... is it because they have different product code from your blood supplier? We are supplied by ARC and sometimes they are sending us 2 PPH with the same unit number but different codes. Meditech is suggesting me to create in a new product for each code, but they are several ones...!:abduction: And how do you set up Meditech the different product codes so nursing/providers can order them as PPH?

Thanks,

Helen

See attached showing page 5 of product dictionary in Meditech 5.67.  See sections titled Subsitute Prod  and Subst Prod Grp.  You can use these so that RN/MD can order general product but you can substitute any product based on you entries in these fields.

substitute products.docx

Edited by Dansket
added attachment

• 4 months later...

I have the products orderable separately in the product dictionary, i.e. PC; PC,IRR; PC,IRRA1;PC,IRRA2, etc. I have the associated patient tests for crossmatch, type and screen set up the same for each product as far as I can tell but PC is the only product for which the associated tests are actually automatically ordered. Any ideas on what I could be missing? PC,IRR is a substitute product for PC but the opposite is not true.

The associated patient tests (X, TS) must be entered for each product.  This is located on page 3 of the product dictionary.  Our physicians order RBC, PHP, FFP and add a comment if IRR or CMVN units are required.   It works as long as your product group is set up correctly.