Ortho Vision

paddleking

• 4 weeks later...

We are on track to get 2 Visions very soon.  After the incubation rack is full, if there are remaining available wells in the cards, are you able to manually place them back into service to be used by the instrument?  I'm assuming it keeps track of the gel card barcodes just like the ProVue.

At this time you can't put partially used cards back on the Vision.  This is something to consider if you are a smaller/med size hospital or if you are planning to use Poly IgG/C3 cards for DATs.  They are willing to give customers a credit for unused wells, so don't let that stop you from making a decision about using (or not using) the Vision for a specific card/test.  We are told that you will be able to put partially used cards back on the analyzer with the next software upgrade, so time is TBA.  There is also supposed to be a change in how long partially used cards can stay on the machine until they are "kicked off" - right now it is only 4 hours.

We are still validating, it has taken some time to get this set up for pediatrics and get the interface going with Sunquest.

Stephanie

1 hour ago, Townsend said:

At this time you can't put partially used cards back on the Vision.  This is something to consider if you are a smaller/med size hospital or if you are planning to use Poly IgG/C3 cards for DATs.  They are willing to give customers a credit for unused wells, so don't let that stop you from making a decision about using (or not using) the Vision for a specific card/test.  We are told that you will be able to put partially used cards back on the analyzer with the next software upgrade, so time is TBA.  There is also supposed to be a change in how long partially used cards can stay on the machine until they are "kicked off" - right now it is only 4 hours.

We are still validating, it has taken some time to get this set up for pediatrics and get the interface going with Sunquest.

Stephanie

This is something the vendors certainly glossed over while doing their demo. I'm not certain I fully understand.

Not being able to utilize partially-used cards is a BIG deal!  If you run a single Type and Screen (two cells) specimen, VISION will only use 2 of the 6 Gel columns leaving 4 Gel columns unused in that Anti-IgG Gel card.  If I understand correctly, that partially-used (2 of 6 wells used) Anti-IgG Gel card cannot be used for testing any blood sample!  The 4 unused wells are wasted and must be discarded.  No so with ProVue.

The unused wells as described in dansket scenario will be retained on instrument and used with next sample within 4 hrs.- currently.i am told as well Orthos upcoming next software upgrade will fix this issue and retain card until expiration of card or next sample, whichever comes first. 

On 5/9/2016 at 8:02 AM, amym1586 said:

How many type and screens do you do?  How many would validate getting a Vision?

From experience let me tell you that staffing is much more of a justification for automation than numbers of tests.  A small rural hospital that is staffed with only one or two techs at a given time would find automation invaluable regardless of the number of type and screens they perform.  Automation can literally be life saving under short staffing situations and I'm referring to patient lives not staff!   :ohmygod:

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping we won't have a problem with gel card usage on the Vision.  On day and evening shift hardly an hour goes by without multiple screens being done.  Night shift slows down a bit.

But as soon as we get it up and running I will watch for the problem.

How many samples did you run in duplicate by both methods to validate the Vision?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

We are planning on getting a Vision this year.  Does anyone know when they are planning the software upgrade to occur?

We have partial cards all the time, some tests are infrequent and won't be used within 4 hours.

Yes, you can use any partially used cards on manual work station.-they are easy to retrieve off the manual review rack at any time. I would call your Ortho rep, to see if your software setting can be modified. Ours were and it helped immensely.  There has been one software upgrade a few months ago, that is possibly what you/they were referring to. I was told all along the final software upgrade was  coming out 4th quarter of this year. I have found Ortho has devli vered and been upfront on everything they have said and promised. We looked at other instruments, and this pales in comparison to the other gel instrument that has been out 2 years and still haven't fixed the periodic 15 minute downtime flush that occurs and locks you out of the instrument-now that is a REAL nuisance,- occurs if instrument isn't "fed" samples  hourly ! Requires babystiing if you don't want it to happen! Getting STATs off in 28 +/- 1 minutes has been awesome, as well overall TAT in under 30 minutes.We are very happy, 

• 6 months later...

I've always found it odd that many institutions do low-powered validations in blood bank, 20% of a month sounds about right to me. When performing a validation I feel that you should provide opportunities for success/failure.

With an assumed 5% positive screen rate, performing 40 tests, that would give about 2 opportunities for failure. Even if neither opportunity failed, statistically that would provide less than 90% confidence that 95% of future antibody screens would meet expectations.

But if you are validating a Vision from either manual gel or a Provue, you aren't validating a method, but just that the pipettor works consistently and the camera can read accurately, right?  We already validated gel when we started manual testing.  I feel like one would have to run thousands of specimens to find a failure of either the pipettor or camera that the instrument didn't recognize first and that seems too much.  I think when we devise validation schemes we should take into account what is likely to fail and emphasize that.  I don't claim to be an expert so please educate me if my take is wrong.