Internal Blind Samples for Blood Bank

I need to develop internal testing for competency.  How would I go about doing that?  Any suggestions?  I need to "doctor" samples so I can access competency after a missed PT.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  If you have any SOP's or guides that would be great.  Thank you.

What kind of samples are you making?  abid's, single or multiple abs?

I usually combine a few abscr neg plasmas for a base.  I then will add reagent antisera (outdated) to accommodate what I want the tech to demonstrate.

I also am not opposed to making DAT+ samples (or could just use IgG check cells).

I do not have a formula for adding antisera to plasma.  Sometimes an entire dropper full and sometimes only a few drops.  It gets a bit dicey when using monoclonal abs as some of these are room temp reacting whereas in the real world the ab reacts at 37/ahg phases.

1 hour ago, ANORRIS said:

DAVID...May I borrow your formula...thanx!

I really don't have a formula.  I just make the stuff up.  Like I said, I use a mixed, absc neg plasma as a base and add reagent abs.  Can't really tell you how much to add.  Sometimes as little as 4-5 drops/4mL is enough; sometimes up to 10 drops.  Depends how avid the ab is.  I also use outdated panel cells as a cell suspension to go with my antibody(ies) in case my tech needs to ag type the "patient".

Another thing that I do for positive antibody samples when using outdated antiglobulin reacting antisera:  add a few drops of anti-A,B to turn the plasma into “group O” and then pick a panel cell for the cell suspension.  This would achieve the same thing as David’s mix of absc negative patient plasma’s.  Patient’s with positive absc’s are also a good source for unknowns.  Another source, once the reporting deadline for proficiency testing has passed, we re-assign proficiency samples (if quantity permits) as additional competency samples.  We try to get a much mileage as possible so we use these types of unknowns for ABID, antigen typing, titers, antibody screens in gel (automated and manual platforms) and tube testing.

For DAT’s, I will make a mix of outdated IgG sensitized Coombs Control cells and un-sensitized cells (outdated screening cell, etc.) to make a mixed field positive DAT.  Also I save outdated Complement sensitized Coombs Control cells for DAT unknowns.

Here are some recipes I use for students (attachment).

You can also get some nice sample kits from Immucor specifically for training/competency assessment. They are part of my standing order - 1 kit a month that is a 'patient' sample for crossmatch and antibody ID. Or another option gives you 1 kit a quarter that is a bit more complicated and which may represent a transfusion reaction workup or tricky antibody ID or something else a little more challenging. Yes, they cost money, but I feel they are good value. And you can usually use each kit for 2 techs (if they don't go overboard on ruleouts). Ortho most likely has similar products. Quotient has a kit with serum samples that I've used - some positive for antibodies and some negative - that is a one time purchase.

Antibody Recipes.docx

We have used the Immucor Self-Cheks and their other products and enjoyed them. A rep let us try the Quotient competency kit (serum only) which I froze, and they've continued to react well about six months later. Some of them are pretty simple antibodies but you can always mix if you want multiples. I think they make one kit a month.