Retirement

Dr. Pepper

I am winding up 43 years of blood banking on Friday. I will still drop in to PathLabTalk from time to time but I'm not sure how frequently that will be. I would like to thank all of our BB Talk family for sharing their knowledge, insights, advice, hints, constructive criticism and everything else that makes this site so wonderful to us BB geeks. I would particularly like to thank Cliff, without whom this site would not exist, and Malcolm, for being himself, a consummate blood banker and consummate gentleman (even when he's dressed in my pajama bottoms - but that's another story!)

Thanks Malcolm. I will certainly give Sue your regards, and definitely will drop in to the site. I plan on staying active in our local professional society for this year at least, will offer CAP my services for a couple of freelance inspections a year, and try for a couple of overseas volunteer gigs a year. Otherwise, it's time to spoil the grandkids,  indulge in hobbies, and chip away at a honey-do list that's been accumulating for, oh, some 43 years..........

Thanks to all for the kind wishes. I have 1.6 days left to try to break people of the habit of leaving things on my desk. With no replacement in sight, it may take a bit for someone to do something about them.

We had dinner last night with an old friend who gave me a nice bottle of pinot noir and a splendid T-shirt which reads:

I AM RETIRED

Don't ask me to do a damn thing

I'm going to wear it under my dress shirt tomorrow and show it off at the obligatory retirement tea in the cafeteria. (I've always wondered why they give you a clock. I thought time was supposed to have no meaning when you're retired....)