Anti-Complement Controls

Darren

I run the Provue with the polyspecific DAT card. We only run an IgG control on this. I think I want to transition to the card that does IgG and Complement separately. What control cells do everyone use for the anti-complement gel testing? Brands and such, I mean, I know how to run them.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, goodchild said:

I hope someone comes up with them soon. I would be much happier with gel DATs to get rid of a little subjectivity.

You can do anti-complement testing in buffered gel.  I use it for all my DATs (Ortho gel) and I've tested in with the Grifols' product and it works with that gel also.

I have used these cards (research only) and they are excellent!  Actually found a patient with a  +IgM DAT (they had a strong anti-I and I expected to get complement reactions but only the IgM reacted).   too bad they are not available in the USA.  I haven't seen them on anyone's list of available or pending cards.

• 5 months later...
On 4/11/2016 at 9:28 AM, David Saikin said:

You can do anti-complement testing in buffered gel.  I use it for all my DATs (Ortho gel) and I've tested in with the Grifols' product and it works with that gel also.

Would you mind sharing your procedure?  I don't suppose you have found a way to automate it on one of Ortho's machines, have you?  I keep thinking we could jury-rig about any test if we call it a crossmatch. ;)

Mabel, I don't have access to those procedures any more.  I used 50 uL of 0.8% cells, 25uL of anti-C3b,-C3d.  Buffered gel.  Let sit 5 minutes at room temp.  MTS centrifuge for 10 minutes.  I used Ortho's anti- Compl and Quotient's Comp control cells.  I ran the pt,, Pos and neg controls.  Origianlly I ran a pt neg control also but stopped that.  My neg control was my A2 cell (0.8%).

I ran everything all the time as I did not have many DAT orders.  You probably could opt for running QC once/24 hrs.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 6:46 PM, Mabel Adams said:

Would you mind sharing your procedure?  I don't suppose you have found a way to automate it on one of Ortho's machines, have you?  I keep thinking we could jury-rig about any test if we call it a crossmatch. ;)

The other approach is to label reagent vials with a provue-readable bar code for either AG-IAT or AG-IS.  Labeled vials are then placed in the reagent carousel.  I user Avery 5267 address labels.

avery vial labels.jpg

vials barcode view.jpg

vials front view.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 3:46 PM, Mabel Adams said:
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 3:46 PM, Mabel Adams said:

Is this codabar or 3of 9 or does it matter?

Is this codabar or 3of 9 or does it matter?

It's Code 128.  The barcode has to be small to fit on label. 

On 9/22/2016 at 9:29 AM, Mabel Adams said:

David, did you start with 3% A2 cells and dilute them to 0.8%? Did you dilute the A2, patient and complement coated cells with MTS diluent 2 or with 2 Plus?  Were the results comparable to tube or more sensitive?

Mabel,  we just started using the buffered gel cards for our DATs.  We use 3% A2, complement control cells, and patient sample and dilute to 0.8% with MTS Diluent 2.  We also run controls each time, since that's really the only way to make sure you have added the anti-C3b,-C3d!  We do IgG in the IgG gel cards and got rid of polyspecific AHG.