Hematology analyzers--looking at new ones

astridfeline

Hi,

We are a small clinic with most of our CBC's in the normal range, some adults and some peds. We currently have an Abbott Cell-Dyn 3200 that is about 10 years old.  We're in the process of selecting a new analyzer, and are looking at the Abbott Ruby, Sysmex XS-1000i, and Beckman Coulter analyzers.   I haven't seen a current thread comparing hematology analyzers, so if anyone would like to comment on any of these analyzer advantages or disadvantages here is your opportunity.  Since I'm not a hematologist, any suggestions on good questions to ask before committing to an analyzer would be appreciated!  Thank you,

Rachel 

We have been using Coulters for some time now.  Currently we have a LH780 and a LH500.  They are reasonably easy to use with almost no regular maintenance.

These are getting pretty old however, and we have more and more breakdowns.  Beckman-Coulter service is not quite as sharp as the old Coulter service but its pretty good.  We would like to get some of the new DX analyzers, they are supposed to be very nice.

Strongly suggest whatever you are going to consider, to visit or call people in your area that have been using whatever before you choose.

Scott

Hi

Agree with other responses, need to find best fit for your lab.

We have been using DxH 800 for almost two years, good performance, easy to use and more reliable than LH750's.

If have small workload & perhaps also want backup then Beckman have recently released a new CBC analyser DxH 500 -  CBC, Plts + 5 Pop Diff, from our limited experience looks like good instrument, with small sample volume.  Initially wont have autoloader, but I believe this coming.

Our laboratory uses the Sysmex-we have a 2000 and 1000.  The 1000 seems more your laboratory speed.  We really love them in comparison to the Advia which we previously had and were happy to get rid of.  The Sysmex has almost no maintenance and is easily user defined with regards to the on board rule you may have for your lab.

• 3 weeks later...

I would agree that you should consider Sysmex.  I have used most of the vendors over the years and was a Beckman guy  up until a couple years ago when I first tried Sysmex.  Not going back.  Steer clear of both Abbott and Advia.  They are both troublesome.

• 2 months later...

I vote Sysmex all the way!  We switched from Beckman Coulter LH 750/LH 500 analyzers a year ago and went with the Sysmex XN model series.  Super minimal maintenance and very "forward-thinking" in their quality control process and software.