SBB Exam Materials

Jane12

Hello ! I was wondering if anyone still holds a copy of " Passing the First Time" Blood bank exam review guide by Steven Woeste. Its not available for purchase anywhere. I am eager to either purchase or borrow it from you. Thanks for considering. Also, were there any other books / study material that were very relevant to the exam ?

not to be facetious but just know everything . . . handlemann-hasselback equations, calculations for cryo, ag frequencies . . . autoimmunity (warm and cold) . . . I am not stating the obvious stuff.  I took the test in 1985 so I'm certain it is evolved into something different.  Besides, I also had to process unknowns after passing the written portion.

Good Luck

Ditto!  I took the exam in 1981 and it was essentially 'Trivia Pursuit' for Immunohematology ... and yes, it included a set of unknowns that were sent if the written portion was passed.  Those were wild, crazy as well. 

For some reason, the requirements for 'passing the SBB Exam' have drastically changed.  I've seen people study 'a book of questions' and pass the exam ...

Just sayin' ...

I studied Mollison, The Technical Manual, Garrity and Petz, and the Pittiglia Blood Bank Book plus made flash cards for the blood group systems.  If you are just looking for a book to study to pass the test . . . well I think that is the wrong attitude.  I had a tech who wanted to know if she should take the test.  I told her that if she could afford to lose the $$$ go ahead 'cuz look at all the knowledge you'd gain studying for the thing.

Thanks for all the advice. I have been reading all the available books and resources since the past 4 years. But, as I am getting closer to the test day, just wanted to find books/materials comprehensive and more relevant to the Exam. I appreciate your time and advice.

On 3/17/2016 at 9:57 AM, David Saikin said:

I studied Mollison, The Technical Manual, Garrity and Petz, and the Pittiglia Blood Bank Book plus made flash cards for the blood group systems.  If you are just looking for a book to study to pass the test . . . well I think that is the wrong attitude.  I had a tech who wanted to know if she should take the test.  I told her that if she could afford to lose the $$$ go ahead 'cuz look at all the knowledge you'd gain studying for the thing.

I would also add Denise Harmening's Modern Blood Banking & Transfusion Practices, AABB's Blood Transfusion Therapy, and Reid and Lomas-Francis' Blood Group Antigen Facts Book.  It's a shame that "Passing the 1st Time" isn't in print any more.  It was a pretty good study guide (as long as you had an up to date errata sheet).

I have a copy of "Passing the First Time".  Honestly I didn't find it too helpful.  Especially since many of the answers were wrong (a known issue for this book). 

This one was helpful for practice questions, not only did it give you the correct answer, but explained why the correct one was correct and why the wrong answers were not:  Transfusion Medicine Self-Assessment and Review, 2nd edition, AABB.

15 hours ago, dragonlady97213 said:

I would also add Denise Harmening's Modern Blood Banking & Transfusion Practices, AABB's Blood Transfusion Therapy, and Reid and Lomas-Francis' Blood Group Antigen Facts Book.  It's a shame that "Passing the 1st Time" isn't in print any more.  It was a pretty good study guide (as long as you had an up to date errata sheet).

To me that is the Pittiglia book - that was her name then (it was the first volume, circa 1984/85).

• 1 month later...

I started studying for the SBB in the last few months, and the Harmening/Pittiglia Modern Blood Banking book is wonderful. I actually enjoy it. I was also advised to know the AABB Technical Manual and Standards VERY well. My friends who passed it in the last 5-10 years highly recommend attending or purchasing SBB reviews, Gulf Coast for example. I've also been warned to make sure I'm sharp on Coag, genetics, and HLA. I'll attempt it when I feel ready, whenever that is. Hopefully sooner than later. :P Good luck!!

• 5 years later...