Lab week

amym1586

Some contests we've had over the years, fun but not particularly educational, with a prize for the winner: Match the employee with baby picture, prom picture, pet, parent, favorite vacation spot. Guess the # of candies in a jar (you win the candies). Various scavenger hunts. Hula hoop contests. Silly hat contests.

We usually raffle off tote bags, coffee cups, duncan donuts gift cards, lanyards, pens, other swag from vendors and institution and virtually anything we can get our hands on.

Each day has a food theme, funded by vendors, management, pathology, or the hospital: bagels, ice cream sundaes, pizza, lunch buffet, dessert pot luck (from the techs).

We often coordinate a health fair with cholesterol screens.

We did a lab tour one year that was great; they were given a sheet with questions for each part of the lab (so they would interact with the staff).  If they filled in the correct answers they received a small bag of candy at the end.  For Blood Bank it was "what is the most common blood type", etc.  We also had an educational station for each department.  After explaining how we read tubes to determine blood type, we showed them one and they had to figure out what the blood type was.  In Hemo, they had slides of various diseases to show them (sickle cell, leukemia).  In Chem, a demo of our automation and a big poster explaining how hemolysis, clotted samples, lipemia affect results.  In Micro, they had a display called "the colors of Micro" with plates showing different organisms that are colored.  We had a great turnout, many said that they had no idea what we do in the Lab.  Our CEO loved it.

Other fun things: decorate a cookie contest (decorated like white cells, red cells, micro plates, and yes...even a C diff cookie...ewww).  Decorate lab coat contest.

And of course food.  Way too much food.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:49 AM, tbostock said:

We did a lab tour one year that was great; they were given a sheet with questions for each part of the lab (so they would interact with the staff).  If they filled in the correct answers they received a small bag of candy at the end.  For Blood Bank it was "what is the most common blood type", etc.  We also had an educational station for each department.  After explaining how we read tubes to determine blood type, we showed them one and they had to figure out what the blood type was.  In Hemo, they had slides of various diseases to show them (sickle cell, leukemia).  In Chem, a demo of our automation and a big poster explaining how hemolysis, clotted samples, lipemia affect results.  In Micro, they had a display called "the colors of Micro" with plates showing different organisms that are colored.  We had a great turnout, many said that they had no idea what we do in the Lab.  Our CEO loved it.

Other fun things: decorate a cookie contest (decorated like white cells, red cells, micro plates, and yes...even a C diff cookie...ewww).  Decorate lab coat contest.

And of course food.  Way too much food.

As "bah, humbug" as I am, I love this idea. Thanks Terri.

That's great Terri !

Right now I've got. Red M&M's for Guess the #RBC's

Gummy worms   Guess the #parasites

I'm collecting  funny looking RBC's and WBC's that like other things.   Like one that looks like a cat and they'll get to name the cell.   Most creative will win.

Guess the cost of lab supplies.

Everyone gave me their blood type So I'm going to incorporate a game with that along with some Killer questions Malcolm gave me.

Someone else is asking for things no one knows about each person and putting together a game.

And I'm making a Pin the needle on the vein game!

I think we'll have a good week if I can get it all together!

Edited by amym1586

• 4 weeks later...

Just added a Positive Thinking Day!  

I bought everyone a lab themed button to wear.  And everyone has to be positive.  If you catch someone being negative you get to take their button.  At the end of the shift whoever has to most buttons will win a prize.  I think I'll do this on day 1 to start off lab week on a positive note!