Cleanbath

bldbnkr

Does anyone know if there is a non-toxic product to add to Plasma Thawing Waterbath (I have a Helmer and I currently use Helmer Cleanbath) to keep it clean?  Does anyone skip using an additive in the bath water?  We are reviewing MSDS sheets and it is so toxic that we are supposed to wear PPE when handling it and I am thinking just to eliminate it. Thank you.

We don't use anything in ours.  Although we are a small 175 bed hospital, we do an inordinate amount of plasma exchanges here.  I'm talking 3-5/week with a minimum of 3 liters each!  With all that thawing, we are bound to have a unit break about every 10 days making us have to clean it out each time. 

For some reason, our Heme/Onc prefers FFP over albumin for all his TPE's, regardless of diagnosis. 

Distilled water with an algicide.  Changed once a month or if there is a leak/contamination.

I did notice that Cleanbath is recommended for our Helmer thawer in the manual...

(Helmer CleanBath (400348-1) may be added to the water in the chamber to inhibit bacterial growth.)

s

We also use Helmer Cleanbath (and have for quite some time) and we thaw a lot of plasma daily. The water bath gets changed monthly and barring broken units leaking out of their cover bags it lasts well for the month.

Edited by Rapundaa
spelling

• 1 year later...