Secondary Methods?

labguru

Is there a requirement to have a secondary or back up method to your primary method?  We use gel for type and screen and ab id.  We have the reagents for the tube method for these, but rarely ever use them.  I've been in the Blood Bank for almost a year so I'm a newb and the one time I used them I ended up sending the sample to a reference lab anyway. 

I am fairly certain there is no requirement for a backup method. On the other hand, most blood bankers I know suffer from a level of paranoia that requires they have at least one back up method if not two or three.  I think determining the need for a back up method would balance on the size of your facility and how much of an impact your only method being down would have and how long being down would likely be.  My guess is that instead of an entirely different method you would be better served by have backup for any critical equipment like the centrifuge required for the gel technology.  

The other aspect of a back up method is it's use in working out problem patients.  Again, if you have a reference facility within a reasonable turn around time then you would probably be better served by utilizing their expertise instead of attempting to maintaining competency in multiple methods within your staff.  

Just my 2 cents worth.  :raincloud:

• 1 month later...

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, John C. Staley said:

I am fairly certain there is no requirement for a backup method. On the other hand, most blood bankers I know suffer from a level of paranoia that requires they have at least one back up method if not two or three.  I think determining the need for a back up method would balance on the size of your facility and how much of an impact your only method being down would have and how long being down would likely be.  My guess is that instead of an entirely different method you would be better served by have backup for any critical equipment like the centrifuge required for the gel technology.  

The other aspect of a back up method is it's use in working out problem patients.  Again, if you have a reference facility within a reasonable turn around time then you would probably be better served by utilizing their expertise instead of attempting to maintaining competency in multiple methods within your staff.  

Just my 2 cents worth.  :raincloud:

We have gel, our back up method is tube for ABO/RH and LISS/tube AB screen. I am looking for the regs about what frequency a parallel testing should be done (ie twice a year) and do you perform 1 pos 1 neg for AB screen and where to find this info?

Thanks!

We do 6-8 positive antibody IDs twice a year.  We double dip and use them as unknowns for staff competencies.

Honestly, we haven't included a negative sample in our method comparisons!  The last couple of inspectors have asked to see our comparisons and neither of them have said anything about needing a negative sample... but I think I will start including one!